Rubber vs rubberlip pleco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber vs rubberlip pleco

I bought a small pleco the other day at petsmart. It was labeled and sold to me as a rubberlip, but I have been looking on line and he doesnt really seem to match the same characteristics. I was looking and seen some rubber plecos which is a closer match. Is this because it is too small to really tell and will the characteristics come out as it matures. I will try to get a few pics on tonight. Any ideas on how to tell these two apart?
    Live Fast, Die Young, Leave A Good Looking Corpse!

Been in hobby since March 2006

Re: Rubber vs rubberlip pleco

2 good sites for info on plecs www.scotcat.com and www.planetcatfish.com. Maybe you already checked there.
    2 75s, 125,55,25 and 14 gallon tank

Comment

they are a rubberlip pleco from petsmart, a rubber pleco aka chubby pleco is well fat looking, the rubberlip has a big head for its big mouth. but they stay a nice size(5").
      Plecos:
      L083 (Gibby)
      L104 (Clown)
      L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
      L155 (A. Hystrix)
      L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
      LDA72 (BN)
      LDA76 (False Zebra)
      Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
      Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

yes i have seen them small(work at petsmart) and have seen them large as well they are rubber lipped, they are great for planted tanks but i have never had good luck with them they dont always do well at the store either so good luck with the fish mine lasted about 5 months.
        Never fear I is here
        David Abeles
        Vice President
        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

why, maybe not enough for them to intake? I am also feeding zuchini on top of algae wafers. Well I guess the rubberlip hasnt found the zuchini yet but my large comm pleco loves it.
          Live Fast, Die Young, Leave A Good Looking Corpse!

Been in hobby since March 2006

Comment

oh there was alge alright the tank is never "clean" it looks ok just has lots of little green spots if you get real close, and i suppliment with  wafers  as well gonna start adding zuccini as well (got some smallers bushy nose plecos i want to grow.
            Never fear I is here
            David Abeles
            Vice President
            Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Working...
            X