No announcement yet.

KOI in the same tank with cichlids OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KOI in the same tank with cichlids OK?

Is it OK to have koi in the same tank with cichlids?

Re: KOI in the same tank with cichlids OK?

In my opinion, its not a good idea because Koi get HUGE and are messy, messy fish. If you keep them in the right conditions, they can get 24" or more. It is my opinion that koi need to be in a pond to reach their full potential. I know people keep them indoors, in fact my neighbor always wants to show me his new koi, he seems to get a new one every week. Although he has several tanks, the biggest tank he has is 20 gallons. My comets in my container pond have tripled in size over the last 3 months, but his koi have stayed the same size as when he bought them.

Also, most cichlids are aggressive and while they're OK in a tank with their own kind or with dither fish, they will pick on other fish. On the other hand, koi are fast and active and might stress out the cichlids.

Just stating my opinions and HTH,
    Ellen

Comment

Normally you want to have koi in a pond, as they've been bred to be looked at from above, not to mention the fact that they get HUGE. But for right now, it really depends on what kind of cichlids and koi you have.
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

All right Ellen, ya beat me to it!

I agree, though, and that's sad about the koi not growing... :(

What do you have, rich?

Comment

IMO, Koi belong in a pond. I have 3 ponds in my yard and in my large pond, the koi are well over 28" long. Koi as all carp are also nasty fish and IMO are too messy for aquariums. A good quality koi can reach 36" long and can live up to 70 years, not a good combination for aquariums. Also Koi are a cool water fish and do not do as well as they should in the temperature ranges most cichlids are comfortable in. For Koi to do well in our climate they really need a deep pond, 3' minimum and preferably 5' and they will really appreciate some shade as relief from the sun, we do not have to worry about icing over, they are in more danger from heat here.
          GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Haha, yeah by a minute! And I think its funny we both put huge in caps. :) They get really really big.   So big they kinda scare me...

Ellen

Comment

Have you seen that commercial, I think it is for Kahlua, with the woman on the raft in the pool with koi swimming all around her? A little bit creepy... And a good reference for their size, rich! :)

Comment

Thanks for your comments.  I am not sure what kind of sichlids I have as this is my first tank I bought from someone.  I can post some pics when I have some time, maybe you can help me identify them.  I wanted the koi because these sichlids (though good looking) are always hiding.  Also, they haven't been eating since I have taken them home.  What temp water should I have in the tank for these sichlids? or does it depend on the type of sichlids?

Thanks,

Comment

the preferred temp will depend on the type of fish. What size tank do you have?

Comment

180 gal

Comment

oops, no it's 110 gal

Comment

it is good that it is that large, smaller tanks will have problems sooner with that combination of fish.
                        Make sure your filtration is up to the task.

Comment

Have you already put the koi in there with the cichlids? How long have they not been eating? What are you feeding them, and do you know what their previous owner was feeding? It would really help if you could identify what kind of cichlids, even if it's only from what part of the world they are. If you can't get any pictures of them, maybe look at the gallery on this site? I know a lot of people have pictures of different kinds of cichlids, maybe you have some of the same? Worth a shot...

Comment

Working...
                          X