Lufubu's and Duboisi, should I add a third

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lufubu's and Duboisi, should I add a third

Just got my Lufubu's they look awsome, soft purple color on the head and fins and soft yellow on the body, got them mixed with my Duboisi. A mix of purple heads and blue heads (hehehe). Right now I'm debating over adding Kirizas, Bembas, or Cherry spots to the mix or just leaving it 2 species. Any suggestions.

Re: Lufubu's and Duboisi, should I add a third

How big of a tank do you have?
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I have kept Duboisi, Rutunga, and Katoto in the same tank together for 4 years and no issues. In a 180 gallon tank for the past 1.5 years, prior to that the groups were mixed into 75's

I know for a fact that Duboisi will not interbreed with any other Tropheus species unless they are also Duboisi variants. Duboisi are the only tropheus that is genetically different enough from all other Tropheus that is being considered for its own genus. All other Tropheus will have some risk of interbreeding.

You can minimize this impact by getting as far apart species as possible location wise, and making sure the color is distinctly different.

Sp.Black Rutunga is in the most Northern Part of Lake Tanganyika and Katoto (Kasabae Southern Rainbow) is in the most Southern Part of the Lake.

Lufubu is on the Southwest corner/side of the lake.  If you were going to add another group, then please pick a Northern species.  Cherry Spots would NOT be a good choice since they are in the middle.  Kiriza or Bemba would be better.

In my opinion the best choice would be Rutunga mainly because I know it works, but it is also from the northeast corner of the lake.

Being that Lufubu sometimes have red in them and light colored flank, the more black types would be best.

Rutunga, Moboko, Minago, and Kifumbe are very dark black fish with some color.  Worth a look...
      380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Where did you get your Lafubus?
        Fish, Fish, & more Fish.

Comment

Jonas, are these the Lufubu that Alex had in his store for the past 6 weeks or so?

They were good looking fish if they were.
          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Working...
          X