First acrylic tank...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First acrylic tank...

My first acrylic tank was delivered yesterday.  It's a 20 regular, black back, with light from SeaClear.  It was shipped directly from the factory in Chula Vista CA.  It was double-boxed with a lot of foam and bubble packing - I was impressed with how well they packed it - and it only weighed 20 lbs.

This isn't my first tank but it's my first acrylic tank... I think the hardest thing to get used to will be the limited access at the top of the aquarium.  There's a 2"x15" cutout centered along the back edge, a 5"x15" cutout more-or-less centered both laterally and frontally, and a 2" circular-shaped cutout in the back left corner.  There are also two small holes drilled to accomodate the airlines for UGF lift tubes.  The rest of the top is made from the same 3/8" material as the sides and bottom.  I'm accustomed to having full access to the top so this seems a little restrictive.  Another issue is that a typical HOB, such as a Whisper, won't fully seat on the back rim because the top piece extends a full 1/2" from the rear of the tank.  This isn't a big deal but it might make a difference to someone.

Anyway, if any of you have some wisdom to share I would certainly appreciate it.  Such things as what to watch for as it's being setup, things to definitely avoid, what's worked (or not worked) for you and your acrylic tank, things you wish you had done differently when you set yours up, etc.

I'll appreciate any comments that you may have.

Re: First acrylic tank...

Be very careful when cleaning - they scratch easily! Use a microfiber cloth. Windex has a new product and you get 12 in a pkg. and they are reusable/washable - not that you want to put it in the washer! But they are very gentle for delicate surfaces.

Can't you take the whole top off? I wouldn't like not having that as an option myself.

Comment

No, the top is chemically welded just like the back and bottom.  The front and sides are all one piece of material - the front corners are rounded.  I'll have to look for those Windex wipes... thanks for the tip.

Comment

Over time you will accumalate scratches no matter what you do, to what degree depends on the routine care.  Also, it may take years, but I've heard of and seen some, acrylic tanks turn yellowish.  Don't ever, ever use bleach to clean.  That will definetly turn it yellow.

Raul
        Raul
        PokerFace

Comment

Well... it's finally ready for fish.  I posted a photo in the Gallery.

Comment

Looks great! What are you going to put in it?

Comment

Thanks for the comment.

I think that this one, because it is on the small side, will be for small community types... tetras, maybe a couple of peaceful barbs, guppies, dwarf gourami, that sort of thing.  I love Corys so I definitely want a small group of those.  It's setup at 78o, 7 pH, and 300 uS so it should be amenable to a variety of species.  If you have any suggestions I would appreciate hearing them.

Comment

My mind escapes me...what is "uS?"
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

"uS" stands for microSiemen.  Actually, the "u" is really supposed to be the Greek letter 'mu' but folks just type 'u'.  As I understand it, the conversions are approximately: 1 degree hardness = 17.9 ppm = 33 uS.  So 300 uS is about 9 GH.  I haven't used a conductivity meter before so all of this is a little new to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JLawson";p="
                    Well... it's finally ready for fish.  I posted a photo in the Gallery.
                    It looks great! Good job!

Comment

nice tank!!!

curious though, are you running two heaters on it?
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I have a peaceful community tank (55g) with neon tetras, glowlight tetras, leopard danios, zebra danios, cherry barbs, Otos, clown loaches, zebra loaches, guppy and a couple algae shrimp. I have activity all over the tank, and it is pretty cool. The danios zip back and forth, but aren't aggressive. I have a golden long finned leopard and a blue one too. The tetras school in the middle, and the loaches hang out at the bottom. And the shrimp and Otos are all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
                          nice tank!!!

curious though, are you running two heaters on it?
                          Thanks.

Yes... two heaters.  A habit of mine is to divide a tank's heating requirement by 2 and then use two smaller heaters to equal the full requirement.  My reasoning is that this will provide a backup in case one fails "off".  Also if one fails "on" then I should be able to catch it before the temp reaches a fatal level since it will climb more slowly.  I've seen other folks do it this way but I'm not sure how common it is.

As a side note, both of the Jager heaters run 2 degrees hot... to maintain 78 I have to set them at 76.  One of these is actually a replacement - the first Jager I put in there wouldn't settle down at all no matter where I set it.

Comment

congrats on your first acrylic as i have just acquired my first one also. 300 gallon from tenecor. I did encounter one downside and that is a small defect that they call crazing. This can be caused when amonia are handled to close to the tank. It looks like stress marks just keep a watch out for that. other than that good luck with you set up,.
                            oh that........ thats just my 300 gallon fish tank, nothing fancy.

Comment

Working...
                            X