Cycling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycling?

I have a 75gal tank operating now, and am about to set up a 55. If I capture 25-30 gals of water from the 75 and put it into the 55 along with new water, how soon can I add Angelfish? I use a canister filter on the 75, and will be using one on the 55 as well. Thought I could also use the media from one of the trays to help seed the new tank.

thx, Jerry
    75gal heavy planted tank
    pea gravel on soil substrate
    DIY CO2
    3 zebra botias, 9 glowlights, 2 yoyo loachs, wild guppies

55gal planted
    same substrate
    DIY CO2
    1 gold, 1 zebra, 4 koi, 2 dark zebra angels, ghost & amano shrimp

Re: Cycling?

If the 75 is cycled, I don't think you would have to wait more than a day, really. Especially if you are using both the water and some filter media. You can probably just let the filter run overnight, and stock it the next day. It might be a good idea to test the water, if you have any test kits, but there really shouldn't be a problem. I've used this method for almost all of my tanks, and haven't had a problem, as long as the donating tank is healthy!
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Tho I have no experience w/ angels, I have always managed to cycle a tank MUCH faster by using things from an established tank other than the water itself.  The media will definitely help u so go ahead w/ that, but also try taking some substrate from ur 75gal and fill some stockings w/ it (go to the dollar store to get cheap stockings, and don't mind the weird looks from the cashier :)  ).  Tie off the stockings and place them in ur 55gal.  

Are u doing a fishless cycle or no?  I'm just wondering what ur ammonia source is for the cycle.

Comment

I will be using some of the plants from the 75, and I can transfer some of the substrate over, but being gravel over soil, it will be a little messy. I don't want to transfer any of the fish over yet, but can probably catch a few ghost shrimp and move them to the 75. When I get the new Angels, they will be coming from an outside source, and although I'm very confident in the health of the new Angels, I really want them by theirselves for the first week or two.
        75gal heavy planted tank
        DIY CO2

55gal planted
        same substrate
        DIY CO2

Comment

You will be fine with the media and water transfer Jerry. Wait overnight then add the angels to the tank. That allows the water to de-gas and some of the bubbles to settle out of the water. You shouldnt need to mess up your substrate for the move, with the media transfer that will be more than adequate to get you cycled.
          Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Sounds great. Now all I need to do is finish cleaning the 55, mix the substrate, transfer some plants, and start filling her up.
            75gal heavy planted tank
            DIY CO2

55gal planted
            same substrate
            DIY CO2

Comment

I have almost 2 gallon of ammonia for fishless cycling. I will have to look but I think it only took about 1/4 of a gallon to cycle my 125. It's 10% so it don't take much. If someone wants to stop by I will gladly donate some to the learning experience.
              Smokin_Cache
              Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
              Lets see what the imagination fruits.
              Check out my last tank

Comment

jbicb3

I have a 90g dose of Bio-Spira in the fridge. I paid 30$ for it I think. I bought it for an emergency back up in case my fishless cycle didn't work. $15 if you want it. The only one that is proven to work overnight! Or I might trade for something. PM me
                Smokin_Cache
                Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
                Lets see what the imagination fruits.
                Check out my last tank

Comment

Working...
                X