angelfish, who is into them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• angelfish, who is into them

I was just curious as to how many on this fourm are into angelfish? How many are breeders? How many are not breeders but are serious angel fans?
    How many tanks do you run? How many gallons total?
    Do you use ro water? How many and what kind of pairs do you have?
    I know of several who are into angels, Marion, Gary, Susan, Becky and myself, but I bet there are others.
    GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Re: angel fish

Me me me! I am not a breeder, but really really want to be. I am working on collecting tanks for my breeders and growing out as I find the deals and scrounge up the money.

I have a 46 bowfront with four hopeful breeders growing up in it right now, this past week I think a pair has formed. I'm not using ro at the moment, but if it turns out that I need to in order to have successful spawns then that's what I'll do. The ones that I think paired up are a marble and a silver from a chain store. I also have 2 koi that I got on here from Walter (wvgdiscus) that are doing very well and getting bigger and bigger. I want to get some from you ( ) soon after I move next weekend. I'm interested in koi, marbles, and sunsets.

Ellen

Comment

when your ready come see me and my wife and I will fix you up. You can tour my small hathery and we can talk about how you want to proceed. RO water is not an essential, it is just somehting I am comfortable with, there are lots of folks who do just fine with out it, but we can talk about the pros and cons of ro water when you come by.

Comment

where are you located Obed

Comment

Obed,
          i set lisa's angel tank up tonight while she is at a show and put some feeders in it, how long do i have to wait b/4 i put in the angels.

Comment

If the tank and filter are brand new and you are using feeder fish to cycle with, I would wait 6 to 8 weeks for the tank to cycle completely. IMO angels do not handle the spikes of the cycling process as well as some other fish. If you have an extra airline available and you do not mind using a 4" cube sponge filter for awhile, come by and I will provide you a cycled sponge filter to put in the tank. We can also collect some of the mulm from my sponges and put in your tank to speed up the cycling process. If you add the mulm and one of my sponges you can add your angels now. Then you can set up one of the other tanks you talked about and use the feeder fish to cycle that tank.

Semper, I am located about a mile from village tropical on richmond. If you are considering coming by, send me an IM and I will give you a phone number and directions.

Comment

Obed,

Are you setting up tours?  What's the admission fee?

Logan5
              There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

No I am not setting up tours. I enjoy when folks stop by, I like talking angels and sharing experiences and ideas. I like showing people how I do things and getting their ideas as well, but when you say "tours" I get visions of organized groups and that scares the hell out of me. As far as admission fees goes, depending on the time of day and how thirsty I am, I might insist you drink a lone star with me (that would of course assume the visitor was old enough and had no issues with real beer)

Comment

Obed when you get a chance can you give me a call at 281-813-7820.

Walter
                  Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                  Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                  Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Walter, I will give you a call sometime this weekend.

Comment

My family loves angels.  We have not gotten into breeding as our angels are still small (nickel to dollar size).  We have six silver veils and 10 Koi veil and non veil (very little color).  We have been purchasing them from aquabid.  We are not always getting what we think we are purchasing.  Frieght charges are very expensive so I will be purchasing locally from now on.  

We currently have the silvers in one 55 gallon tank and the koi's in another 55 gallon tank.  We are in the process of setting up a 44 gallon pentagon.  I will probably move some of the koi's into this tank.  Also to arrive soon is a 75 gallon tank.  I will be looking for more angels for this tank in a few weeks.  

My husband wants more silvers, I was thinking about half black but we probably need to see some of the other varieties.  We like to buy them small and watch them grow.

Amazing how you start out with one tank and get carried away.  We have 11 tanks right now (all in the house).  Total gallons is 300, many are small and we are trying to decomission them (if the livebears will stop with the babies).

Comment

In the angelfish society we jokingly have what we call our mantra, it is "more tanks, more tanks"
                        I am well aware of how they can grow on you, this hobby is addictive. I am a fan of koi with lots of orange and black, I do not care much for the Koi that are mostly white, what I refer to a German style Koi. When you get ready for more angels, tell me what part of town you are in and I will tell you which store carries my koi, if you are in an area where none of the stores I sell to are located, I will fix you up. I do not have any halfblacks at the moment that are breeding but I do have 12 that should be pairing up in the next few months. Glad to hear from you on your angels.

Comment

Lisa, hope you enjoy your new fish.

Comment

a great site for folks that are new to angelfish (and not so new, I check it all the time) is run by my friend John Johnson. It is not a forum and he does not sell fish on it. It is just an information site, I consider it an angelfish bible. He has all kinds of information, evrything from stocking densities, to water quality, to breeding tips, almost any question you can come up with, he has the information on that site. John is just one of those kinds of guys who loves angelfish and loves people and has put up this site to benefit folks with out getting anything in return. The site is called THE MICRO HATCHERY, the website address is
                            http://webrbiz.com/angelfish/amh.html  If you have interest in angelfish, check this site out, you will enjoy it. If you are not into angelfish, lots of the info is applicable to other fish as well.

Comment

Great site Obed!  It's been bookmarked in my favorites.  I don't have any Angels at the moment, but just about every week, I threaten to take my Africans to the LFS and replace them with Angels.
                              Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Working...
                              X