Curing ICK...What's your best method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing ICK...What's your best method?

I have a couple of fish that have ICK.  I purchased the fish like this from a LFS, at a discount, and they gave me some Quick Cure to treat the fish.

Well, I used the Quick Cure for about a week with the tank temperature at about 80-82F.  The tank is a 29 gallon Quarantine Tank I have setup.  I had an emergency evacuation of another tank, because of an Ammonia spike, and so there are now about 20 fish in there.

So,now all 20 fish have ick, and I thought it was cured, but now it is back with a vengence.

My plan is to elevate temperature to 84F and treat with Quick Cure for 10 days. or atleast till all the white spots are gone plus (3) days past that.  

Any other effective methods?  The fish are adult Cichlids - Tropheus.  In case anyone needed to know, and using TAP water that is dechlorinated.

Thanks for any replies...

Geoff
    380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
    300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
    180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
    150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Re: Curing ICK...What's your best method?

I have used heat and salt with success with ich. I put 2 teaspoons of salt per gallon in the tank over the course of a day and cranked the heat up to 88. How much salt and heat your fish can take does depend on the type of fish you have. I was treating livebearers, so they were fine with the salt and I probably could have added more with no ill effects. You have to keep treating continuously for awhile, if you continue for a week after you see the last spot you should be covered.

Ellen

Comment

I feel foolish for saying this, because I know that you know this stuff already, but....

Water changes (10-20%) everyday or every other day and add 3 teaspoons of (freshwater) aquarium salt to your 29g.

What kind of filtration does the tank have?  I know on the bottle (Kwik Cure) it says to remove your filter media.

That's what I do anyways and it works for me.

Hope they get well soon.

Raul
      Raul
      PokerFace

Comment

I have two air bubble disks and a Penguin 170 that I have removed the filter pad which contains carbon.

Raul, do you elevate temperature with your methd or just add salt with each water change?

Thanks,

Geoff

Comment

I forgot about the water changes. I second doing those everyday with a good gravel (or bare-bottom) vacuuming also, this will suck out some of the cysts (from the gravel) and some of the tomites (from the water column), speeding up your fish's recovery.

Ellen

Comment

I do not usually change the temp, No.  I would prolly recommend it if all of your fish have Ick though.  The thing about the temp is that it doesn't always have to go higher and higher.  If your tank is already at 82 degrees then yes you can go a little higher without hurting your fish for a short period of time, but you can also go back down (lower).....say 76-77 degrees.  

The combination of medicine, slight temp change and increasing or decreasing the amount of salt is usually too much for Ick to handle....actually any parasite type.

Raul
            Raul
            PokerFace

Comment

have always had success raising temp. to 86

treating for about 10 days

Comment

Methylin Blue is the best cure I have found for ick. Some products contain Malachite Green, which also cures ick, but the Methylin is the most effective. Something to understand in the treatment of ick is the fact that ick is only vulnerable while in its free swimming state. The typical life cycle for ick is 7 days at 78 degrees. By increasing the temp to 84 you shorten the life cycle to 5 days, at 88 the life cycle is at 3-4 days. Ick is a parasite which begins as a barbel which is either anchored to your fish or in some cases inanimate objects, as it matures it leaves it's host in search of a spawning place, typically another fish in your tank, once a new host is found it deposits the next batch of ick as barbels then dies. The life cycle follows roughly this time line at 78 degrees, 3-4 days as a barbel infecting the host, 1 day free swimming in search of a new host, 1-2 days spawning the next batch of ick. Ick is only vulnerable while it is in its free swimming state, so you have a very small window in which to kill them. That is why ick treatments generally last from 10-14 days. In this way you are ensureing that you catch any parasites which were in transition phases during initial treatment. By raising the water temp, you increase the rate at which the ick becomes free swimming thus treating more cycles of the parasite and bettering your chances of eradicating it.
                Something to keep in mind, meds and increased temps will rob your tank of oxygen, so increase your airation. An extra air stone or two will not only increase oxygenation, it will also help to distribute the meds throughout your tank. As mentioned above, remove any carbon or diatom filtration as these will strip the meds from the water column.
                As for the salt, there is nothing wrong with adding salt, as it is actually good as a stress reliever for the fish, but in order for it to be effective as an ick treatment the salinity levels would need to approach brackish water levels. That is, a specific gravity of 1.014 or greater. While most fish can tolerate this if allowed to aclimatise over a period of time, unfortunately, the ick will be so out of control by this point that losses would be catastrophic.
                The method I use is to raise the water temp to 88, double dose the recommended ammount for scaled fish, that is cichlids and barbs and the like, for 3 days, then normal dose for 4 days. For scaleless fish I again double dose for the scaleless recommendations for 3 days, then reduce to normal dosages for the next 4 days. If there are signs of continued infestation I will continue treatment another 3-4 days, ensureing I get 1 more life cycles' worth of treatment. In both cases I will add 1 tblspn of aquarium salt per 10 gallons of water just as a stress reliever as well as an aid to re-establishing a healthy slime coat. Also you should be performing 25% water changes at least every other day, or better yet, 10% daily.
                You can find Methylin Blue in several over the counter meds, just check the label. The higher the concentration of Methylin, the better.
                Hope this helps.
                Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Do you recomened daily water changed in this method?  

And what brand of meds offer the highest concentration of methylin blue?

Double dosing the meds seems like it would not be required.  I mean the manufactuer has a recomended dose.  Is it because they are covering the basis if scaless fish are in the tank or not?

Comment

I lost half of my fish population due to ich (just starting with the aquarium hobby)..so when it went back the second time, I was a bit prepared... I cranked up the temperature, added salt then I also added rid ick which they sell at walmart or at the local fish store along with 20% water change every week. I've read somewhere that once your fish get ich they'll form an antibody for that (much like chickenpox for us). hope that helps

Comment

The reason I double dose is because the recommended dosages are a bit on the conservative side. While the recomended dosage will work, it will take much longer, and several more life cycles of the ick to rid the tank. Most ick medicines will have a recomended dosage on the label, one for scaled fish, one for scale-less fish. As for the water changes, yes, daily is best as you are removing the dead pathogens and associated amonia. As for the fish forming an antibody against ick, this is the first time I have heard that. To be honest tho, I don't see how that could be the case since this is an external parasite and not a disease. That would be like saying once you rid your dog of fleas he would never get them again.
                      As far as name brands, I really can't recommend one over another as I don't use commercial brands. I would immagine tho that anything you could find at the LFS would be fine, just be sure to read the label. I know Wal-Mart sells an ick medicine called Quick Cure, this is a Malachite Green based med. Malachite Green will work to rid the ick, it will just take an extra life cycle to do it. Don't be fooled by the label, many of the meds say that they will rid the tank in 2 days. We know that this isn't possible due to the life cycle I outlined for ick. While it is true that the meds will kill any free swimming ick, the rest are left behind to re-infect your tank. That is purely a marketing gimmick and should be disreguarded.
                      I hope I covered everything.
                      Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

the  quick cure also contains formalin which is effective against parasites, but as Scott has stated the cure is not all that quick. I have been in the hobby for 50 years this year and when I was a youngster back in the 50's, all the meds we have today were not so readily available and the most common treatment back then was simply the salt and raised temperature, it often works with out the addition of other meds, but not overnight and not in two or three days.
                        GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Ok...well I have lost (3) Fish over the last two days.  I am using Quick Cure, salts at 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons (29 Gallon Tank), and my temp is 89.2F.  I have three huge bubble disks each with their own pump, Penguin 170 packed full of filter floss.  (2) Heaters Visi-Therm

I am thinking of swithcing to CLOUT.  I am also considering Coppersafe.

What about a combo of Coppersafe and CLOUT?

I have been doing daily 50% water changes and double dosing the Quickcure (60 Drops) every 24 Hours.

I am also thinking of double dosing every 12 hours.

Please help, I am losing fish and this blows!!!!

Thanks,

Geoff

Comment

i just got through curing my 135 from ick possibly caused by a newly introduced fish.

temp. 80f
                            filters still running
                            aq-pro quickcure
                            aquarium salt
                            25% water change/ gravel clean

lowering the dose by 25% each day for about 4-5 days and now the problem is gone.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i got a tank full of platies mollies and javamoss i just noticed ick on a couple so i'm trying the salt and high temp fix any advice

Comment

Working...
                              X