Killifish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killifish

It is my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) that you should keep Killifish in separate tanks by species so that they will not breed with each other.  I really don't want to keep seperate tanks.  So if this is true. are there any Killifish (preferably the more colorful ones) that would work in a community tank?   If so, what kind of fish would they get along with?

Thanks!

Michelle

Re: Killifish

I have never kept any Killiefish and do not know anything about them. There is a Killiefish club in Houston. I hope this helps:

max

Comment

I'm not too sure about them breeding with other species, I think that's more of a livebearer thing. It's REALLY hard to say whether or not you should keep them in a species tank. I think it depends on the killie. The problem is, killies aren't really readily available to the majority of shoppers, and the people who do keep them can sometimes be a bit partial to them and only them (I too am sometimes guilty of this ) It's almost like a hidden cult within the hobby sometimes! The thing is, killies are fun, and once you have a tank with them (spawning mops, etc) and they start spawning...anyways, going off on a tangent here, sorry!

Are golden wonders still the popular killies out there? If so, that's one fish I wouldn't put in a community tank, just because they actually get kind of big (at least the ones I have met), and then they start eating anything that moves. Cute, but scary. Since I'm running the risk of writing a novel here, can you say if you are interested in a particular type? For example, the annuals, or natives, or other? I think the annuals would be better suited to a species tank, just because it seems as though their keepers have an agenda to breed them, and also have a small window of time in which to do so. The other thing - killies can sometimes be sensitive to water parameters which are different than what they're used to, which also tends to keep them separate from other species of fish. All that aside, I have 2 species of killies right now, and they're in tanks with other fish. I just make sure that the other fish don't occupy the same niche of the tank, are peaceful, and the killies don't bother them (and vice versa). One tank has pygmy cories, and the other has native killies and the other fish I found along with them in the same body of water.

Wow, with all that I really hope I answered at least one of your questions! Have you seen a particular species that you like?
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

So does anyone else keep killies? I'm reviving this thread because the 4 golden wonder killies for sale got me wondering.  :)  

jwyde - I actually have seen them around 4 or 4.5".  8O  They're still just as pretty, but they really do eat anything that falls in the water! That's the reason I said above to not keep them in a community tank, unless the other members of the community are fast eaters.

Comment

Well, it looks like Tiapan is about to have killies!  :dance:

Comment

here is hoping. i had goldens a long time ago, and they did great. but i added some cherry shrimp to their tank and they thought that was the best dinner ever. expensive meal for that tank. but no shrimp will be in this tank. they are more going to be dither fish for the cichlids. as in stay out of their way so to speak.
            Never fear I is here
            David Abeles
            Vice President
            Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I was thinking about getting some killifish to put in my angel tank (once the cycling/ich is taken care of).  I was looking to get non-annuals.  I don't want the golden wonders because of their tendency to eat fish and large size.  I was hoping someone could recommend a good species to start with.  My pH is 7.6 and I have hard water and don't plan on softening it.  Tankmates would be angels, cory cats, hopefully some rams, and maybe a school of 1 1/2 inch tetras.
              58G Malawis
              10G planted

Comment

I'd recommend some North American natives for your tank. They're pretty boisterous and don't need the softer water like some of the other killies out there. Unfortunately, I don't really have experience with many of the species yet.  :(  

Here's a good article to get you started, if you're interested :) :

Comment

That is a great idea.  I'll read the artice in more detail and look into the recommended species they listed.  Thanks!
                  58G Malawis
                  10G planted

Comment

Working...
                  X