I have rusty looking spots on my decorations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have rusty looking spots on my decorations

They do look like rust spots, but of course there is nothing in there that can rust! So I looked around at other sites and saw that there is a "brown" algae that shows up in new tanks. Does anyone else know anything about this? This stuff is on some decorations and some is on the walls of the tank. My algae eater seems to be excited!

Re: I have rusty looking spots on my decorations

Ah, yes, this is to be expected in a new tank. Nothing to worry about. If you wipe the glass down, it will come back very quickly. You just have to keep after it for awhile. It will slowly go away and green will take it's place after awhile. The last tank i did, it lasted about 2 months!

Comment

I had this same thing in my tank! In fact it is still on one of my overflow boxes. I removed the plastic rock I had on the right side of the tank because it was covered. It almost looked like something was settling out of the water.
      Smokin_Cache
      Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
      Lets see what the imagination fruits.
      Check out my last tank

Comment

I added a few slices of Zucchini to a recently setup tank and the power filter continued to bounce them off the glass untill they became sufficiently soft to suite the fish in the tank.

Now I have brown algie growing on the glass where the zucchini was pressed against it  but not on the remainder of the tank which had been cleaned.  

Food for thought...........
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I'm glad this isn't a a problem. Should I get a special sponge for the sides of the aquarium or can I use someting else? It is a glass tank.

Comment

I use paper towels to wipe down the walls. If you get the Vive paper towels (I think they're the one's made by Kleenex) they won't rip or fall apart in water. They're more expensive than the store brand. Its also a great product if you have a new pup. :) You can wipe the carpet with it and it doesn't tear into little pieces. You can spray resolve on the carpet and scrub the carpet with it and it doesn't tear into little pieces. Moral of the story, it stays in one piece, a great product, I highly endorse it!

Ellen

Comment

If you use a rag, just make sure you rinse it very well before sticking it into your tank in order to get out any residual soap.

Comment

Don't get it wrong, brown algae is still a problem. I've been following along on your new tank and really don't like some things that you have done. If you have read up on brown algae most likely the cause was your water quality or lighting. I rarely get brown algae on new setups.

Comment

I didn't realize that you should only have the lights on for 8-10 hours. I have left them on for about 12-13 hours. I am going to shut them off earlier than I usually do from now on, or not turn them on as early as we usually do.

I think I will try the rag first, and put Vive paper towels on my shopping list!

Comment

Jose,
                    Daisymac is new at this. If you want to criticize the way she is doing things, then try constructive criticism. That means not just pointing out others' mistakes but also taking the time to explain your stance. I assume that Daisymac has diatoms, and they really aren't uncommon in new set-ups. Maybe you can share your knowledge of how you do things differently, to help her and others like her, just starting out.

Daisy,
                    It sounds like diatoms to me. I have had tanks that had the brown algae in the beginning and I have had tanks that skipped it altogether. Just wipe them away whenever you have a chance. Eventually they will stop coming back.

Ellen

Comment

Thanks Ellen! You have made me feel better!

Daisymac

Comment

FOR YOUR INFORMATION, I did PM her weeks ago. I understand she is new but why add fish after only a couple days of setting up the tank, when you were told to wait a couple weeks? Use of water test strips which are not accurate, adding more than a couple fish at once.... Sorry for me being patient and not having the problems some of ya'll have. Sorry Daisy but to me it seems like Ellen had a attitude against me. Thats all I got to say. Arguing more is pointless

Comment

Jose,

I did not add new fish after a couple days. Only a couple from my previously established tank.

I also bought a drop test kit where you get a water sample and then add the drops to it, and all the readings are fine. I have been patient - maybe not as much as you are, but nonetheless my tank may have a few problems, yet the fish seem healthy and the readings are normal.

You were a bit harsh, but that's okay. I appreciate any info I get from anyone. It just makes me dig deeper into the topic to see what I can learn from it.

Thanks for all of you.

Comment

That's enough. We're here to help one another regardless of mistakes. We learn from mistakes. I expect that any other posts here will relate to rusty decoration spots.  :wink:

Comment

Just looked at the package and its Viva, not Vive. It is by Kleenex.

Ellen

Comment

Working...
                              X