X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for guppy

i have a new tank and would really love to stock it with some nice guppies

Re: looking for guppy

John at Houston Aquatic will satify yours needs. He specializes in breeding guppies. He has ton of them. beg him to check out his fish room in the back, you will not be disappointed.

Comment

Does he have IFGA quality guppies b/c I want the tank to look as nice as possible

Comment

What kind (color, caudal shape, or whatever) of guppies do you have in mind? Your tank is pretty large for a guppy breeder. I appologize for not answering your email. Is creating eye candy in a planted tank your objective or do you want to breed some fish?

max

Comment

mostly eye candy in a planted tank and i'm really interrested in  Purple Moscow Guppies but i'm still very open

Comment

The best looking ones that I have seen came from Ramirez who advertises on Aquabid. They kind of struggle in the Houston water but they were magnificant. I have some of them that I crossed with albino german white that look pretty good if they are feed sparingly and often. I have a few purple guppies that are as good as any I have ever seen but my supply of this strain is too limited to share. I may loose it myself.

Guppies were originally hard water fish but over the last 180 years they have been moved and acclimatized to water all over the world, mostly soft. Now we with Houston's hard water need to acclimatize them back to hard water. The biology of hard and soft water are different. The process takes about three generations or a year and a half if all goes well. Sometimes this is not the case.

Big tails, caudals require a genetic component and an environmental component. Either one without the other does not get it. The environmental component is to feed small balanced meals at least five times a day. Eight is much better. Most working people do not have time. They might buy good fish and then complain that they did not breed true, that is that they did not feed them right lol.

If you can find local fish that have been that way for generations life will be simple. So the options are:

1. Check out John's fish. I have not seen them.

2. Check out my moscow albino geman white which is purple.

3. Get some fish from Ramirez. You could also check out the winners at the IFGA shows.

4. Switch colors and talk to a number of different people at the HLA myself included.

5 Something else

max

Comment

I have quite a few fancy guppies.....i dont know if thats what you are looking for or not.

Comment

I read this thread the other day and just realized it was nearly a year ago from the last post.  Just wanted to update.  I was at Houston Aquatic the other day.. there was an older man in there, the biggest sourpuss I'd ever met in my life.  Did NOT want to talk to me, or any of the other customers there.

Guppy selection was also sub par.. and some little hispanic girl came in, possibly an employee?  Went straight to the back.  No idea there.

Will not return.

Comment

well it is what it is, unfortunately there is a few good guppy breeders intown who do a good job.
                  if you need any i have some nice pictures and i would gladly show you my fish room.

Comment

kadz,

I've had similar experiences there, but would recommend that you give them another chance.  John (I think that this is the guy's name) is actually very knowlegeable and can be very helpfully if the place isn't  crazy busy.  I have found some good deals and some hard to finds there in the past.  I haven't been there in a couple of years, but even then the hired help was never been very good.  
                    Just my 2 cents.

G

Comment

yeah similar experience from me. you could find something rarely but usually not worth the effort, and never had help there.
                      Never fear I is here
                      David Abeles
                      Vice President
                      Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Working...
                      X