planted 4 gallon tank ... co2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planted 4 gallon tank ... co2?

So, I got me a nifty little 4 gallon tank with a 13watt PC lamp ... cool.  So I'm thinking of a nano planted tank ... is this tank too small for co2?  If not, what's the best way to get in the tank without cluttering up too much of the tank with equipment?  It's already going to have the penguin and a heater.

Thanks
    Logan5
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Re: planted 4 gallon tank ... co2?

you should check out plantedtank.net.  They have a really nice forum there and you can get all of your questions answered.  There is even a nano section.  I've seen people on there that do small tanks like that with no co2, no filter, no water changes, not sure about the heater.....but they are some of the best tanks i have ever seen.

Comment

Remote mount the CO2 equipment.

syphon or overflow water from the tank to your treatment system
      add the CO2 and then pump it back into the tank.
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

good sugestion, but would be a big hassel or such a small tank, i tend to go more natural, a little bit extra light and heavier feeding with frequent small water changes make a planted tank ery very happy.
        Never fear I is here
        David Abeles
        Vice President
        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I understand the use of frequent water changes to prevent the buildup of nitrates in a fish tank but if nitrates are good fertilizer for the plants, why would you want to do water changes in a plant tank ?
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

In my 125g the plants chew up nearly all nitrates, so if it weren't for TDS rise (eveaporation) and having to vacuum the poo out I don't think I would have to do changes at all. I wish I had room to do a shrimp only 55g!
            Smokin_Cache
            Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
            Lets see what the imagination fruits.
            Check out my last tank

Comment

From what I have heard, yes nitrates are good for plants, and there is an increasing number of people out there that are practicing a natural kind of tank in which they do no water changes, just top-offs. However, it seems to take a while for the tank to become established and such. I find that in my tanks that are planted kind of heavily, I do less water changes, because I almost never see any significant amount of nitrates. But I still do them, if only because my fish seem so happy afterwards! I think with a four gallon, especially with 13 watts of PC light, the plants will take off nicely. Like PhishPhreek was saying, it would be easier to have a CO2 system outside of the tank, but that all depends on how much money you're willing to spend. I've had success with Excel in my smaller tank that doesn't have CO2. Are you thinking of keeping fish in there? Is there a cover for the tank?
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

the main reason i do water changes ( i know i am not religious about doing them that often) is the trace elements. i dont add any fertilizers and doing SMALL water changes frequently or even semi frequently makes the fish and the plants very happy.
                Never fear I is here
                David Abeles
                Vice President
                Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Working...
                X