Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the fish stores of old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the fish stores of old?

What's up with these local fish stores? What happened to them?

The reason why I ask this question is because I was a Fish Store Junkie. You see long ago when I first got into the hobby, we, Delock, myself, and a few others, would cruise around the town checking out the local fish stores and what they had to offer by the way of design and layout of aquariums. I remember going to Beechnut Fish and Pet, The Fish Ranch, The Village, and other stores in our city to check out the multiple collection of display tanks they had laid around the store. You see back in the 1990s, all a person (potential customer) would have to do is to go to a fish store and see about 30-40% of the tanks in stores dedicated to showing customers different varieties of fresh and salt water tank setups. I remember seeing tanks set up with sand blast rocks with African root wood, seeing coral sand with holey rock, gray rocks with slate stones and multiple types of fish, different combinations, different selections, fish, fish, fish everywhere.

Why am I creating this thread? You see, the internet has spoiled me. Online breeders and online suppliers have cut my desire to go into the local fish stores. I haven’t been in one in over 3 to 5 yrs. About a month or so ago my brother wanted a new aquarium and I had a spare 58-gallon to give, so I gave it to him. Well, a week later he was ready to put something in it, so we went “fish hopping”. We hit about 4 stores and I was in shock at the stores. They did not look like a store I would be proud of. They had very few display tanks with all the high-end fish in little 10 gallons tanks for sell.  Not showing the full potential of the fish by color and shape. And the display tanks they did have devoted to show were simple and had no complex lay out to them.  The next week, I hit 3 more stores only to be let down again by a lack of the number display tanks and pride in tank layout in these stores.

Have I missed something by staying online to support my hobby? Did I let my local fish store down by getting better deals on supplies and fish online?  Is this my fault?

What can we, as hobbyist, do to get these stores to get back to the basics and create complex display tanks to show customers what they can do with these aquariums they purchase in these local fish stores?

Am I alone in noticing the lack of pride in these stores? Storeowners release the creative juices that are in the young employees you have employed in your stores. Spend the money on new display tanks to get the attention of potential customers and lets recreate the pride we used to see back in the ‘90s.

Thanks for reading.  :evil:
    Fish, Fish, & more Fish.

Re: What happened to the fish stores of old?

Allow me to point out the obvious here. Unfortunately, display tanks cost money to set up, stock, and maintain. With the advent of major chain stores, the lack of consumer support, and the rising costs of doing buisness, I am afraid that it has become cost prohibitive for all but the largest stores to allocate the material and the floor space to essentially non productive items such as displays. True, displays do offer eye candy to the potential shopper, but unfortunately, eye candy is all they are. The customer more often than not will walk in, ooh and ahh over the display, then promptly head down to Petsmart or Walmart and save .50 cents on that can of food. Rather than bemoan the loss of the beautiful display tanks, get off the net, out of Petsmart, and into your LFS and support these guys. I fear the LFS is heading the same direction as all the mom and pop stores in the old city squares all over the country. Mega marts and discount pricing are just to appealing to the masses. Customer service and a knowledgeable staff are secondary to saving a couple pennies here and there. As you stated yourself, it has been far to long since you patronised a LFS, so yes, in part, you are to blame for the lack of appealing displays. We all know the remedy, it's up to us to support our favorite stores if we want to see them succeed.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I'm also quilty of purchasing the bulk of my supplies online.  However, I do still frequent the LFS's, but, in a lot of cases they don't stock what I need.  For example, today I was looking for media for my cannister and my closest LFS didn't have anything, I actually didn't even see any bulk charcoal.  I did find some at another place, but it was a larger chain type store.  I can understand that small stores can't keep as large of an inventory as the chains or compete with online prices, and it doesn't bother me to pay more to the small LFS, it's just that in a lot of cases, they don't have what I'm looking for.
      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

It is even more of  a catch 22 than you suspect.

The bulk of the new hobbiests go to the discount stores, buy the discount fish and supplies and set them up with little or no knowledge.    
        The fish die or get sick and they go back to the discount store, ask a few questions and get uneducated answers from the low wage discount clerks.  Then they buy some meds or some more fish and take them home and go through the process again.  Until they drop out of the hobby.

Unfortunately, there just isn't enough of us that do know what we are doing to support the independant LFSs so they have to get by by selling bird cages and lizard terrariums and all kinds of 4 legged fuzzy things.

So before you buy at the chain stores or buy on the internet and pay shipping.  Leave a post here and ask if anyony can beat that deal.

And if you juat happen to be in one of the big discount stores,  Talk to the newbies and give them a little friendly advice.  Explain to them why.....
        Tell them were to go to get good information.......

I remember in the early '70s HAS used to have aquarium shows in the Malls..... Most of the tanks were 10s or 15s   - I've been told the malls won't leatus do that any more but I bet there are a few LFS that would let us set up friday night and teardown Saturday night and maybe even judge for us and sposer a$5 trophey........ or is that tropheops?
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

boy glad i join the site docmump.........

Comment

In the 90s - wow,  iwas just getting into plecos and comics and then girls came into my life. But there are places still if you look hard enough. For instance San Antonio - Fintique ( an excellent LFS, that hasn't changed in years.) Here in Houston the last dying store maybe Tropical Fish and Pets (or Birds as pets in the sign suggest). But their thing is fish for cheap. good healthy fish for cheap. sometimes hard to find fishh for cheap (example i use often: Royal Pleco[L-190]) for 15 bucks (3"). They had convits for 99 cents once, Black belts for 3.99 each, and I bought my geophagus for 12 dollars at 4". And i bought a blue baby dempsey from them for 20 bucks without shipping and handling.

Anyways you really have to look under rocks to find stores worth it. I buy my cichlid food at Fish-r-fun on eldridge for 3 bucks less than chainstores sell(the same exact Hikari Gold food bag.).

Then i guess you can count the shipping and handling as gas, since prices are bound to rise and your car gets smaller.
            Plecos:
            L083 (Gibby)
            L104 (Clown)
            L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
            L155 (A. Hystrix)
            L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
            LDA72 (BN)
            LDA76 (False Zebra)
            Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
            Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

The first lfs that I can remember going to was back in 1956. My mother bought 4- 10 gallon tanks for my birthday and we set up guppy tanks. The lfs was a converted railcar and was very small, I have no idea how the man made a living. I have seen lots of changes in lfs, some good and some not so good. I am afraid that the chain stores, ****mart and ***co, do not quality as lfs to me, the quality of the fish that they sell leaves a lot to be desired, they live on volume and low prices so the quality reflects that. Just as ***mart and *mart and T**get have put many small stores out of business, the major chain pet stores are doing that to the small local owned lfs and the hobby will suffer because of it. We need to support the local owned lfs as much as possible and I buy everything I can from them. Admittedly I do not buy my fish food from them, I use so much that I could not afford it and I use custom made foods that they can not supply, but everything we can buy from them we should.
              I have a friend who lives up north that is a fellow angelfish breeder and he did very well and began to grow, he was up to over 500 tanks and selling to a lot of stores, then ***co came to him and offered him a contract to supply fish to all their stores, he really had to expand to meet their demands and has bought more property and is growing his angels in ponds, sad to say that he is now financially successful, but the quality of his fish has gone down big time, he makes more money, but I think he is not as happy as he used to be.
              Maybe we should take on the responsibility of helping newbies to the hobby by giving them advice from our experience and starting them off by taking them to the lfs that we like and do them a favor by helping keep them out of the major chain stores where the advice is as bad as the quality of fish that they cary.
              GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

when not swapping with fish guys online

i stick pretty much with my closest LFS

Tropical Fish and Pets on 249

i have gotten to know Kevin the owner and haggle with him on some stuff and he usually goes lower on price since i frequent quite often

i try to encourage people to visit his store as he usually has very good prices.

Comment

Timo's Tropical Fish on Telephone at Airport is very helpful.  He doesn't have any show tanks and because of the area he usually only has community fish but has a nice setup with rather fair prices.  I can buy feeders 25 for a buck......not may can beat that.  Also I can buy a capful of live brine for $2.  Best price in town.  

He is also a great resource for me, he is happy to answer my questions in person or by phone.  The staff is ok, but you really need to speak with him for good info.  

He has held fish for me and gives me a discount if I buy a large amount or the more expensive ones, but I have been a customer for a while.  He sells large Plecos for around $20.  I have also sold and traded fish to him, he is pretty fair.

Timo's Tropical Fish & Plants
                  (713) 644-8585

5600 Telephone Rd
                  Houston, TX 77087

Raul
                  Raul
                  PokerFace

Comment

Thanks, sounds like the kind of lfs I'd like to have on my sat morning tour....   Kind of a long way from home but and interesting area to expore.... now know any good sandwitch shops in the area ?
                    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Sorry, no good sandwich shops that I know of.  

One other good thing about Timo, he is open seven days a week 10 till 7.

Raul
                      Raul
                      PokerFace

Comment

Looks like I will be going over to Sonny's to see his store.  :)
                        Fish, Fish, & more Fish.

Comment

i can honestly say sunny's is my new favorite store. lots of displays(lets be honest hes protective and dare i say defensive about them) but they look amazing. his pricing s almost impossible to beat. and he is very knowledgable. Timo's is cool as well, but you would be better off looking for a taqueria than a hoagie shop. and the other problem is that they are on opposite sides of the city. there are however several other little shops that may have something interesting down but Timo's. megans tropical emporium is right down there, and aquazoo is near by there as well (little cramped for a shop but interesting fish if you look closely for them. megans is very well run as well, nice and clean. Sunny's though is worth the trip all on its own.
                          Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Sunny's... YES YES YES!!!

Delock and I went this past Saturday to Sunny's and I was in satisfied. We arrived in the middle of a little Texas shower but hey a little rain doesn't stop this train...  When we walked inside I was impressed with the number of display tanks located through the store. From a South American tank all the way to a Discus tank. The Malawi tank is a must see. The Clown Loaches were pretty and inpressive. He had just redecorated the Tang. tank but it was very nice as well. We met Mike and had a wonderful time at the store.  More stores need this type of setup. Different ideas presented to the customers on how to do a tropical tank.

Thanks Mike for the tour and the time. Delock will be back.

We also made the trip to Alex's shop... Yes, Sunny's store was better. Alex had one tank setup that was breath taking. I just stayed right there and looked at this tank. Other than that, Alex needs more dispays of those troupheus fish...

On a sad note, my URI Auqasun burned out when I returned home and NOBODY CARRIES URI AQUASUNS ANY MORE!!!!

Docmump.
                            Looking for replacement lights..
                            Fish, Fish, & more Fish.

Comment

You mean Alex at Ultimate Fish? He does have a nice display tank in there.

Me and my husband LOVE going to lfs on Sundays. Its our only day off together so it's fun to go and look around, see what the owners have. My hubby usually impulse buys haha...he'll see a SA cichlid we dont have or an African at a super price and go "WOW"!! Next thing I know, I'm holding a bag in my lap in the truck!  Now, I do go to Petsmart or Wal-Mart occasionally, if I need water conditioners, filter cartridges, food, etc, because they do have those items at cheaper prices. But fish....I will only buy fish from lfs. SOmetimes we do online buy, some of our lfs don't carry Emporer impellers, or dont carry the size we need, so we'll go to petsolutions.com and order there.

But I love spending the afternoon milling around lfs...when we lived in Spring, we'd hit like 6 of them...and come home with a new addition or two. There's not a lot of lfs near where I live. Fish-R-Us is 6 miles down the road. And Ultimate Fish is the next closest one.

My husband loves Sunny's. I havent been in years, but he will go in there on his day off during the week.

Comment

Working...
                              X