Victory! I think!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victory! I think!

So I set up my 55 gallon tank and had problems with the water - growing a mold bloom ( that's what y'all told me) but now I think I have it correct.

I had vacuummed the gravel to get the nasty "spider web" looking stuff out and removed an old decoration that I thought may contribute to the problem. Then, last weekend, I got an ammonia remover filter to add to the water pump and added some aquarium salt. I took a chance and I bought 2 cherry barbs, 2 zebra danios, and 2 neon tetras. I already had a headlight tetra, 3 neon tetras, and an algea eater in the tank. I think the AE is a pygmy catfish, but not absolutely sure. I had put in an algea disc for him, but it had the mold growing on it so it got sucked up.

So the next day 2 of the neon tetras were gone, but everyone else seemed fine. (These tetras were so small that they didn't look like they would make it from the get-go.) The mold started again so I repeated the above, added some more salt to the tank, and replaced about 10% of the water. I did not add another piece of the algea disc.

A day or so later I got worried because I couldn't find the AE. He hides really well though. So I have waited to do anything else to the tank. Tonight he came out. Seems he has taken over this one plastic driftwood piece as his private sanctuary, and he snuck out just for a bit. I was so happy to see him. He has been around for about 3 years and it killed me to think I had hurt him.

So now I think I am ready to add some more fish to the tank. My water is still testing a little high on the  nitrite side, but everything else is safe and good to go. So . . . am I ready to add some guppies and playties or whatever else you may recommend?

Thanks for all your help! My fishie boys appreciate it! (Not that they are all boys!)

Re: Victory! I think!

How long has it been? In my experience, slow and steady wins the race.  If you REALLY want to go ahead and get some more, I would stay away from guppies and neons in the short term. Wait until after your tank has cycled to get those.  The neons and guppies tend to be a little more sensitive to changes in water parameters. As for things that I would recommend, any of the larger tetras would make a good choice. Black Skirt Tetras have been indestructable for me. Hope this helps.
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

daisymac...  Great to hear things are smoothing out for you after the spider webby thing.  I have used Danios to cycle tanks before.  They are usually inexpensive, I think I paid $1 each for my last ones and I still have them.  They are schooling fish and quite fast I might add.  Not being the patient person, as some of you are, I have been known to cut off an arm and a leg and buy some BioSpira just so I don't have to wait for the tank to cycle  
      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Be patient and wait till your water is cycled.

max

Comment

Thanks for all of your help. I got the tank going on 6/6, with the help of all of you! I put in the filter from my other tank to help speed the cycle up, and moved my headlight tetra, and my algea eater in the following day.

Then my husband went nuts thinking the tetra was lonely and bought 5 neons. That was on the 8th. The ding-dong that sold them to him said to float the bag in the water for 20 minutes and just dump them in - water and all! Even I know that is not how to do it.

So now you know the timetable that preceeds the first post I made!

Thanks again for all your help. I am listening to you all - I think most of the employees are not too bright! I need to find more professional help - But WAIT - I have this Fourm!

Comment

Working...
          X