Questions about planting "rules"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about planting "rules"

I am going to change the substrate when I move, but I don't know when I am actually going to be planting the tank. (Why doesn't money grow on trees?!)
    For now, I have some questions:
    I have read that when you make a planted tank first you are supposed to plant 'fast growers' and then, when they're doing well and thriving, you're supposed to rip them out and put in the plants you want to have. Why would you do that? It seems like a waste of time and money. There has to be something I'm missing in that line of thought.
    Also, I have read that you don't want fish in the tank for a few weeks when you first plant it. Why is that? So that if you're using fertilizers you don't accidently poison your fish? Or so you could add lots of ferts to get things started without harming the fauna? Or is it because the assumption is that the tank is not cycled?

Ellen

Re: Questions about planting "rules"

My first planted aquarium has quick growers in it and the plants were able to outcompete algae for nutrients.  There is no algae at all in my 30 gallon.  There is no way I would have wanted to put fish in this aquarium at first because, I used Seachem's Flourite and it took forever for the "dust" to settle after planting and filling with water.

My 55 gallon, however; has slower growers and lots of algae that I have to work to get rid of.  I mixed laterite in with black gravel and didn't have the dusty, cloudy look at all.

Comment

Sorry, I just saw this thread, so ignore my post if you already have your answers.  

I have never heard of the practice of planting fast growers first, then ripping them out and planting what you want. I understand doing so to help with algae problems, or maybe even to encourage people that they can grow plants? But all in all, I don't think it sounds like a very good idea.

I think a lot of these suggestions have to do with, like you said, the assumption that the tank has not yet cycled.

Have you decided when you are going to be planting the tank?
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

The only rule I'm aware of is one that the Romans discovered.

If you plant the columns with the root ball on top
        they will not continue to grow and tear up the roof .
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Mzungu, I don't know when I'll be planting the tank. I'm moving in July. Then I'll put in the substrate (that I still have to decide on).
          Then I think I'm going to do some water/pH experiments (when I have room to actually have a water barrel!).
          After that I have to come up with some $$$ to buy a light fixture.
          Ditto for the plants PLUS I have to decide whether I want to lower my tank temp (don't really want to do that) or buy plants recommended for discus that can stand high temps (which mostly aren't even from SA, so I don't really want to do that).
          I will have this all done by winter at the latest, but I really really hope its much sooner than that!

Ellen

Comment

Working...
          X