Insecticide in the atmosphere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insecticide in the atmosphere?

I am considering setting up a kiddie wading pool in the backyard for the summer but needed some input on something that is causing me a little concern.  In Kingwood, a truck drives around at dusk or later spraying  insecticide throughout the neighborhoods to combat mosquitoes.  Does anyone know if the concentration is large enough to cause damage-either immediate or occuring later in aquatic life outside?  Any input would be appreciated.  I would rather not set up a pond if there is any question about the safety.  Any idea what dept. one would call to inquire?

Robert

Re: Insecticide in the atmosphere?

Howdy Robert,

Spaying for mosquitoes from the street or airplane is a reality for this area.  We have had tubs outside for two years now.  We are about 1,000 feet away from the road where the spray truck passes daily plus airplanes fly over several times a week spraying.  Tne drift to the back yard is a very small amount.  One thing I would recommend is putting the tubs under a tree and or having water plants on top to help keep any drift out.  Also make sure that you don't spray your self down with mosquitoe spray and then dip your hand in the water or feed the fish because that spay is very toxic to fish.

Max mentioned in another spot about tadpoles in his outside water areas. I read in a National Geographic article a few years ago that they found tadpoles in several water ways that were mutated with extra limbs because of toxins in the water.  Can't remember if it was from the air, runoff or ground water but the tadpoles were an indicater that something was not right.  Two weeks ago tadpoles appeared in my tubs so will keep an eye on them and hope they are healthy with no extra limbs.  later, ken

Comment

Re: Insecticide in the atmosphere?

Thanks, Ken.  I will keep your suggestions in mind when placing my pool.  There was an article in TFH magazine this month about predators and so I am also looking into netting to keep the critters out.  

Robert

Comment

Working...
      X