gravel or water problem with new tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gravel or water problem with new tank

I need some advice. I set-up my tank (See "Hey! I'm new - how are you?" post) and now it has something odd growing on the gravel. It looks like a web, very opaque. At first it looked like a water bubble, but it has gotten a little taller. I'm not sure how to describe it.

It is only growing on the far right side of the tank, in a couple spots about the size of a grape (each spot). The pump is on the far left side. There is a large plastic piece there that is brand new and looks like driftwood with places for the fish to hide. This stuff is growing near that. The other thing over there is an old piece I had that is about 8" tall. I cleaned both of them, or should I say rinsed them. Do you think it could be the old piece that is causing this or is this a common thing?

I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

daisymac

Re: gravel or water problem with new tank

Whatever it is, remove it as best you can. Could it be some food that didn't get eaten?

Comment

I know it can't be food, because I only feed tiny flake food. My fishies are very small. How do you recommend I get that out?

Comment

try to siphon it out. I use airline tubing for stuff like that. You may need to use something bigger in diameter for that.

Food is the only thing I've seen turn into that after a couple of days, but I haven't seen everything. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Comment

That sounds like a pretty common white mold bloom. Typically this would be caused by uneaten food that is decomposing in your tank. Under normal circumstances your fish would be eating this before you notice it. You should vaccuum the gravel in the area, and check the transfered deco and be sure it is well rinsed. Also look to make sure you don't have a dead bug mixed in the substrate, as it decomposes in the water it will grow mold as well. Between these 2 choices you should be able to eliminate the problem.
          Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I think found an answer. Here is a link to an article that refers to a bacteria bloom that looks like smoke - and yes that is what it looks like.

Veterinarians and other pet experts are standing by to answer all your health, nutrition and behavior questions! Chat live now about your dog, cat, or any other pet.

I think this is a good thing for my new tank to be going through, but someone else give me an opinion, please.

Comment

The smoke look they are reffering to is also reffered to as cloudiness in the water. this is caused by the microscopic bateria in the water forming huge "schools" wich are visible as a cloud. The type growth that you initially described is not a bacterial bloom, but a mold bloom. Depending on the type of mold it can either be totally harmles, such as that which sometimes grows on driftwood in your tank, or it can be toxic, such as the kind which grows on decaying food and the remains of fish and or bugs which may have found thier way into your tank. Is it a big deal? No, not if there are no fish in the tank. If there are fish in the tank tho, I would try to find the root cause and then make the determination. If it is caused by decaying animal or food matter remove it immediately. If you can't find the cause, remove it immediately. It would be a good idea to get a bowl or something similar and scoop all the gravel in the immediate area out of the tank and wash it thouroughly just to be on the safe side. Why take the chance when it comes to the health of your little friends? In aquarium keeping, an ounce of prevention isn't worth a pound of cure, it's worth the life of your pet.
              Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

What I did is use my gravel vacuum to get the stuff out of there. Since I thoroughly rinsed, and checked, the gravel, and I didn't see any bugs, and there are no dead fish in there, and no food decay, that left me with the old ornament. I took it out because it did have some leftover algea on it. I bought some ornament cleaner, and I will soak it. Still since I took that out and vacummed I haven't seen anymore.

Thanks

Comment

Ok, good deal. I am glad you decided to go ahead and err on the side of caution, I just hate to hear stories about how it was put off and now my fish are sick, can you help me?

Comment

Working...
                  X