This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betta

I have been to more pet stores and Tropical special fish places than I would like to admit and STILL havn't found much luck in finding anything besides VTs. I am pretty new to this Betta thing and am looking for stores that sell different kinds or breeders. I don't really wanna spend 3000 for a pair, anyone have any idea of how I can get some bettas so I can attempt to breed them?

Thanks!

Re: Betta

You can contact local betta breeders at
    https://<br /> <div class="b-bbcode...> </div><br />

Casandra Sharp just won best of show at the Dallas international show.[
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I was wondering... Do people ever get over run with bettas that they bred and just give them away?

Comment

More often than you would think, new breeders overextend themselves.
        It's easy to take care of 200 fry in a spawn tank, but when you have 100 male bettas in jars that you have to clean every week, it's not so much fun.  And if you spawn a second pair and a third pair........

I do my best to caution new breeders about "burnout" and recomend that they cull often and early to avoid this problem.  But more than a few fish keepers refuse to cull and as a result have more bettas than they can care for.

I would rather have the best 10 from 10 different spawns that a 100 from a single spawn.
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Do you know of a place where I might find breeders who have too many fish? I assume this forum would be a good start .

Comment

The BettaHabari (Houston Chapter of the International Betta Congress) will be hosting an international Betta show on Sept. 2 (laborday weekend) followed by an auction on Sept. 3.   If you are interested in breeding stock this would be an excelent opportunity to obtain some of the best with out having to pay for shipping.  

If you are just looking for some culls, try the message board listed above.
            or send me a pm with your phone # and I will pass it on.

Comment

What exactly is a cull?

Comment

A cull is basically a fry that is not pretty enough.  That's a harsh way to put it, a nicer way, fry that may have small defects or other abnormalities that would not make it acceptable for breeding.  I've seen fish in LFS's that are missing gill plates, missing eyes, deformed heads or spines, the list goes on and on.  As I'm not a professional breeder, these would be fish I would have considered culls.  Not all culls are deformed, just not high enough quality for breeding or showing for the avid hobbiest or professional.  At least, that's the way I understand the term.
                Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

When I make my first cut,  I look for deformed spines, crooked fins, and other things that I would never breed.   I make this cut as soon as possible and feed these loosers to my sicklids.

When I make my second cut,  I look for poor quality,  bad color, narrow fins (pet store quality)  These will go to a LFS if possible or the sicklids if no LFS will give me a fair price.

My final cut is the good stock.    Some will go to other breeders, the verry best will go into my spawn tanks  And some I will continue to grow out for shows.     The show fish need to be larger with no tears in their fins.   The breeders can be spawned at 3/4 size and usually they will sustain slight fin dammage during spawning, which will be counted off in scoring the show fish.

Comment

Can some of your second cut bettas produce good quality bettas, or do you always have to have 2 perfect bettas to make good quality?

Comment

There is no such thing as a perfect betta.   There is a perfect standard that bettas are judged against.   The standard is contually revised by the IBC judging board.

My second cut have multiple faults and if you study statistics, there is always a chance that two bettas with multiple faults can produce a show quality offspring.  But the odds are long.  With good stock you should be able to produce some fry that are better than the parents (and a lot that are almost as good)   After 2 or 3 generations your best fry should approach that perfect show standard.

Comment

Working...
                      X