Under-developed Angel fry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under-developed Angel fry

I seem to be having a recurring problem with my angel fry. I get very respectable spawns, with 400-500 eggs laid per spawn, however I am having problems with my fry hatching out with little or no yolk sac. Has anyone else experienced this? I have tried varying the PH in hopes that that had something to do with it, but with no success. The hatch rates are excellent, but the loss rates are staggering. With no yolk sac there just isn't enough time to get these guys eating before they die on me. Any ideas would be great.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Re: Under-developed Angel fry

Tell us about the parents diet and feeding schedule. Are you "resting" them between spawns? We assume there are no parasites.

max

Comment

The parents get a varied diet, flake, pellets, and frozen. They are paired for alternating spawning periods after getting a chance to fatten up. The eggs are sepperated from the parents immediately after spawning and placed in siphoned tank water in a stand alone tank set to 84 degrees with mild airation. Water is at the same PH as the spawn tank with the addition of some methaline blue to prevent disease as well as some anti fungal medication to prevent any non fertilised eggs from fouling the good ones. I am wondering if this might be a genetic deffect in one of the parents that is being passed along, or if there is something that I may be overlooking here. I have tried the spawns in 6.0 6.4 6.8 7.0 7.6 and 8.0 temps at spawning varied from 78 to 84. I cant think of anything that I am overlooking here and frankly its driving me a little nuts. Inducing the spawn, which I would think would be the hard part is no problem, keeping the fry alive past the 2 hour mark after hatching however seems to be a hurdle that I keep stumbling on.
      Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

It could be a genetic issue but not sure from the info given so far. You mentioned the ph variables you have used, how did you get the ph and what is the TDS? I keep all of my angel breeding pairs in RO water and move the eggs when they are layed into a one gallon jug with water from the parents tank. I use acriflavine to take care of any fungus issues. After 48 hours when the eggs hatch and turn into wigglers, I start a transition to filtered city water, so that by day 7 when they go free swimming they are in all city water. good luck.
        GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Are these high protein high fat foods? What kind of flake, pellets, and frozen? How many times a day do you feed the parents? I would think you could increase the size of the yolk sacs with the mothers diet.

max

Comment

Working...
          X