Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to get rid off worm

Hello everyone.
    I am new. I have 4 tanks with 14 fishes.
    The biggest one is 120gal. I have 4 big Flowerhomes in this tank but I have problem with small white thing like worm in it. My friend said these thing came from the food ( Tetra Colorbits) that I overfed. Sometime they don't eat all that why the food leftover.I don't know this is right or not.Please help and I need the advise from Houston Fish box members. How to prevent and how to get rid them off without empty the tank.
    Thank you all

Re: Help to get rid off worm

Where exactly are the worms? On the fish? or just in the tank? Can you be a little more descriptive? How small is small?

Comment

I don't know where my manners are. Welcome to the HoustonFishBox!! We can definitely help you. Just need more information.

Comment

Fishlove, your friend is somewhat right. What you have is most likely planeria worms. The worms are on the glass and usually many in a bunch. If you have planeria worms then your water quality is bad.  They didn't come from the food brand. They most likely came from you leaving uneaten food in the tank. Do you clean your gravel? Do not leave uneaten food in the tank. "Vacuum" your gravel. Do about a 20% water change a day while you are siphoning(cleaning) your gravel. Also add aquarium salt. Follow directions on the salt. I think it's a couple teaspoons for every 10 gallons.

Comment

Does that look like what you have?

Comment

If it is, I'll second the water changes. If you don't have time for 20% a day, then no longer than every 3 days or so should do just fine. Also, cut down on your feedings until they are gone and you should clean your filter as well to make sure it's working at best efficiency. If worse comes to worse, there is medication available as well, but I don't foresee that.

Comment

Hello
              I am back.
              Thanks for those responding.
              The worms is as small as a hair line maybe smaller, they are hard to see if I don't turn the light on.
              this is the second time I have. First time I cleaned a whole tank I empty it and flush everything and dry the gravel under the Sun for 3 days make sure all worms are dry dead. I don't know the worms on fish or not but they can be seen swimming under water. Jose said I need to add aquarium salt but my fish are freshwater. Pleas advise more. I will need to take 20% water off tomorrow.I just start build my fish last March and I don't have much experience on this.The water look clear and clean and I have not done anything on my tank for last 2 or 3 weeks.Is that really bad?How to taking care the tank and water?and how much is enough to prevent overfeeding. Sometime I just drop small amount of food but they still left uneaten food. I have wet/dry filter and check the filter layer very often.Thsnks

Comment

A 20% water change at least once a week is advisable even if your water looks clear.  

You can add small amounts of aquarium salt to fresh water tanks.  You will get differ views on this, but I have used it for years without ill effects.  You simply add 1-2 teaspoons per 10 gallons of water.  

Do you add dechlorinator when you setup your tank and when doing water changes?  If not, I recommend to do so.

Feed only what your fish will eat in about 5 minutes.  remove any excess if you can.

Raul
                Raul
                PokerFace

Comment

Thank for your advise rrocket2002 I will do as you recommeded and I need to buy some salt. You said feed for 5 minutes then remove leftover after feeding? If yes it hard for me because I feed them around 4:30 to 5:00am each morning then 5:00 pm for second time a day.I feed them before go to work and after work. After work I can remove uneaten food without a problem because I do have time to do this but early morning is a big thing for me. Can I feed them once a day? At everning, so I can taking care better. What do you think?Please advise. Thanks

Comment

If you want to get rid of your worm problem, doing  more frequent water changes is advisable. DO NOT buy sea salt which is for saltwater aquariums. They have aquarium salt for freshwater. You never answered if you vacuum your gravel. You said you have big flowerhorns so feeding 1 time is ok. Some people go days without feeding large fish. I age my water before adding to aquarium. Meaning I treat my water in a 30g rubbermaid with conditioner and let sit for a couple days. After you get rid of of the worms then begin water changes at once a week.

Comment

Thanks for your advise Jose. I will do what you just told me today. I already warm up my extra 40 gal. tank last night with rain water.What I need to do is transfer my fishes to that tank then start clean up the 125 gal. tank and will treat the water for 2 days then I will put them back and will take 20% off each week ( try not to be lazy) I will do like this for other 3 tanks and will feed them one a day ( in everning and able to watch them eat and remove uneaten foods)
                      This is very very helpful advise because I just LoveFish as my ID for couple months. I bought the 125gallons tank with 12 fishes in it from my cousin and next day 5 were dead then within a month I lost 2 more the biggest one is 11" long Wolf Cichlid (Dovii) other were Flowerhorns about 6-8". Last month I bought 15 Electric blue fishes and now I have only 3 left. I just LoveFish but I don't know how to take agood care for them.Tomorrow I will go to Missouri City to pick up 13  fry South American Pink Convicts someone will give them for me free but I have to drive for an hour but it worth for me anyway.Please help me more for any advise to build my experience. Thanks everyone and have a good weekend. I will take some pictures and post in here later.

Comment

I agree with Jose, I feed my fish once in the evenings.  

Don't continuously feed for 5 minutes if that's what you understood from me.  I meant only feed enough that your fish would finish within 5 minutes.  I use a mix of pellets and flakes, what do feed them.  You will eventually get a rough idea as to how much to feed and will rarely have to remove any leftover.  

Your flower horns should tolerate a catfish or similar type fish of decent size.  Something to scavange through the gravel for leftover food would help too.

Also, Vacuuming your gravel every so often is important too.

Hope this helps.
                        Raul
                        PokerFace

Comment

Thanks rrocket2002.
                          I wish I can go home now to clean up my fish tank ( I am at work till 3:00pm)

Comment

OK everyone....a question.  Is "Hydra" and "Planaria" the same thing?  I think this message board has a virus, cus now I have a tank with squiggly white things floating and on glass.  

My main Red Devils mated, layed eggs and after two days moved the eggs to a smaller tank without the parents and they hatched within minutes of doing so....couldn't have timed it better if I tried...LOL

BUT, this morning I see these things in the water.  Because of the fry, I don't believe I can safely (for the fry) do a water change or treat with medicine at least for a couple of days.

I must have at least a couple hundred or three fry and if I loose these due to this parasite, I'm gonna be ticked to no end.

I guess I'm just venting....

Raul
                            Raul
                            PokerFace

Comment

Working...
                            X