Betta and shrimp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betta and shrimp?

Would the shrimp just make a good meal, or can they coexist?

Re: Betta and shrimp?

I've tried that with 2 bettas at the same time. Each was in a 2.5 gallon with 3 shrimp. Both tanks had lots of fake plants and hiding places on the bottom.

One of them got along just fine. The betta would flare and show himself off for the shrimp but never nipped them.

I had to rescue the other shrimp from the other betta in a matter of hours, because he took off *all* their antannae! He was stalking them and attacking them, no flaring at all.

So my experience is that it really depends on how mellow your betta is. Also, I'd imagine that if the tank was bigger, it would be easier to accomplish. Also, they were biggish amano shrimp, I've never had any other kind.

HTH, Ellen

Comment

Well, I've got a 2.5gal too. I guess I'll pass for now. Thanks for the info.

Comment

This is a little late but, I agree, it depends on your betta.  I have mine with 2 ghost shrimp, 2 mystery snails, a Mickey Mouse platy, & zebra danios in a 30 gallon.  He doesn't bother anything in his 30 gallon aquarium.

Comment

Yes, it's true.
          Bettas do have personalaty.    Usually they will not bother anything half their size or larger, but while one may tolerate a male guppy constantly trying to poke him, another will eliminate the offending fish.
          Usually they will find a shady spot an hang out with regular trips to the surface to get some air.   They do love to hide and pounce on bugs and small snails and even unsupecting fry.   While one will take food pelets from your hand, another will bite your fingers to tet the food and a third will hide on the other end of the tank and never come near your hand.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I had a 2.5 gallon tank with Betta, and when I introduced 4 ghost shrimps ... he killed all of them within minutes.  I later tried to introduce two platties, which he harassed for hourse before i finally moved them to me 30 gallon tank.  I think I just go one mean sucker of a betta.

Logan5
            There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Working...
            X