Brackish water Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brackish water Tank

I have been collecting some of the local fish from our bayous and I would like to build a brackish water tank.

I've been thinking I will use crushed oyster shell for the bottom, perhaps mixxed with something.    
    Are there any plants that do well in brackish water ?

Anything I can decorate with other than beer cans and licence plate4s ?
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Re: Brackish water Tank

LMAO!  

I needed that laugh....thanks.

RT
    Raul
    PokerFace

Comment

tires, broken fishing line.  

You might try looking for plants in the same areas where you're getting the fish. Look for submerged plants near the edge where they can get the most sun but still not be a marginal plant.  I'm not certain about which plants are brackish, but hey, if they're growing brackish out there, then they can be brackish in your tank.

Ellen

Comment

Crushed  oyster shell might be sharp? Yellow clay in your potted plants or crushed limestone might be good. I have a nice carpet of hair algae growing on the side of my tote with the gambusia or what ever they are we collected. I seperated out the green sailfin mollies yesterday and I still have a male and about six females. How much light do you have in the tank? Remind me and I will bring some plants for you to try to the HLA meeting/auction Saturday. I might even throw in a few dragon fly larvae. I bet your duck weed will grow anywhere. lol

max

Comment

java fern and java moss will both do ok in brackish, some anubias with too
          Never fear I is here
          David Abeles
          Vice President
          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

What kind of fish did you collect?

If you're still wondering about the plants, in addition to what Tiapan said, anacharis and hornwort that I collected locally seem to be doing well in a slightly brackish tank. There is also some bacopa and all sorts of egeria, najas, whatever you want to call it, that's doing well.
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

in my photo alblum you will find some native pix.
              guppy, green molly and the "unknown" minnow.
              If you have any idea what this 1" long chekerboard fish is.
              please let us know.

Also Max gave me a couple of local plants and they are starting to grow well ....     can anyone identify them ?
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

By the way, it took a few days, but all of my wild cought locals are now happly eating the floating high proteen crumbles that I bought from max.

even the unknown minnows which are not surface feeders are fat and happy.

I purchased and added some ghost shrimp to the tank today.  Hope they will keep the tank clean .... if they become food for fishes,  then I will have to search for some local snails.

native tank

Comment

that looks like what is sometimes called a fahead minnow bt not quite, i know my neighbor got one as part of a mullet bucket that he was using as fish bait and it did fine for months in my then completly salt water tank, so i believe it is a true brackish dwellar in that it can go almost all fresh and all salt. a tough cookie to be sure.
                  Never fear I is here
                  David Abeles
                  Vice President

Comment

The first thought I had was some kind of pupfish. When I get home I'll try to find it in my book. And the local plant #2 looks like bacopa. As far as the first plant, I have no idea, but if it does well I wouldn't mind a cutting or two, it's really pretty!!  

Comment

Have you looked up the sheepshead minnow? It's a type of pupfish (cyprinidon something). The female looks really similar to what you have. How many are in there? Do they look the same?

Comment

i agree it looks like its a sheepshead minnow, looked them up and sure looks like his fish and the one i used to have in my salt tank.
                        Never fear I is here
                        David Abeles
                        Vice President

Comment

About the second plant, I can't tell in the picture, but is there a previously emersed part on one of the plants? Or is that just a different plant behind it?

Comment

Yes, I concur, they are Sheepshead Minnows / Killiefish

I have 3, unfortunately, all 3 are females..............

Sexing Sheephead Minnows

Comment

About the second plant, I can't tell in the picture, but is there a previously emersed part on one of the plants? Or is that just a different plant behind it?

Other plants are val that I purchased at the HAS auction.

Comment

Working...
                              X