This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For Turtles

[b]I'm looking for Red Ear Sliders, Soft Shells, Yellow Sliders. I Just recived a 20gal Tank set up for turtles I have one 2inch red ear. But I'm looking for a tank mate, I would ratherhave a soft shell. But nay will do. No bigger than 5 inches. I am a stero-typical starving college student, I have very little money to offer, no more than 15$. I'm more looking for accidental pets that need to be rehomed. I have Always had turtle and I know what I'm doing with them. If you have anything, or know of someone, please let me know
    Thanx
    Candace

Re: Looking For Turtles

Take a net with you the next time you go tubeing.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I have been trying pretty hard for the past 2 months to net one. But The turtle crop in East Texas hasn't been that good. I finally got a red ear Saturday. I fell in the river, but I GOT IT!! LOL

Comment

All you have to do to get red ears is go to Research Park. Take a net and some food (I use koi chow). Sit there on the sidewalk away from the ducks. Just keep dropping koi chow and those turtles *will* show up. Lots of them are HUGE but some are tiny. There are big softshells but I can't recall ever seeing their babies out there before. I've seen painted turtles out there also and once a mud turtle that had to have been dumped.
        What are you going to keep them in in a few months when they outgrow the tank?
        Oh and don't get caught by the UPD.

Comment

I have abunch of turtle tanks at home ranging from the 20 I'm bringing back, up to the massive one my dad built me. it's 6ft long 4ft wide and about 3ft tall.usually I keep them for about 2-6 years depending on the turtle, and the they get released into my grand parents catfish pond. Where is Research Park?

Comment

Heading North on Texas Ave, take a left on University Dr. Go for a bit, past Northgate, past Wellborn, past the Vet Sci buildings. It'll be on your left with a big sign. Once you turn into the park, if you take the first right, you can park on the right side of the road.
            Don't park in the office building parking lots during the daytime, they do ticket, but I've never had a problem parking there during the evening. The ponds are connected and huge. If you go during the afternoon you can tell where we take the dogs, somedays there's almost 30 dogs running around and swimming. This does drive off the turtles, but they're in there. You can just go to one of the quieter ponds to fish for turtles.
            I've found that the best time to go turtle hunting (or fish collecting for that matter) is dawn or dusk, when the bugs are bad because thats when they're used to eating anyways.
            Funny note: once we had some extra dog treats and we decided to see if we could get some of the BIG turtles to show up. We sat there for almost an hour waiting to grab a big one. Well my crazy friend saw (and grabbed!) a ginormous ALLIGATOR SNAPPER. I almost fell in the pond trying to get away from the great big angry turtle. Ok, so I know they come bigger than the one she pulled out but oh man was that mouth huge and angry. I don't know what on earth possessed her to grab that turtle. I was thinking we were gonna try to nab the softshell. :) (I have a little container pond, so the big ones are just catch and release.)
            ramble ramble
            Ellen

Comment

Working...
            X