Fishless Cycling Ammonia Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishless Cycling Ammonia Source

There are so many articles on fishless tank cycling I think it would be a waste of bandwidth just to repeat everything here. I will post my results though.

It seems the biggest problem with this method is find good additive free ammonia. The ammonia used can not have any coloring, fragrant, or surfactants (soap). The good stuff will not make any foam when you shake the bottle. It looks just like you were shaking a bottle of water.

ACE Hardware brand janitor strength ammonia (10% in water solution) is the only additive free ammonia I have found in the Houston area. And the only ACE Hardware I found that stocks it is at the address below.

1205 Uvalde Rd
    Houston, TX 77015
    About 1 block north of I-10
    Smokin_Cache
    Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
    Lets see what the imagination fruits.
    Check out my last tank

Re: Fishless Cycling Ammonia Source

I have over 1.5 gallons of the ammonia left if any one would like to try the fishless tank cycle. I think it work worderfully on my 125.
    Smokin_Cache
    Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
    Lets see what the imagination fruits.
    Check out my last tank

Comment

When I got my 125 to replace a 55g and 60g a few years back....I emptied all my fish into containers and then moved all my gravel and water I could over to the new tank.  Altogethor I recycled about 70g of water and had to add fresh water to fill it up.  I used the existing filter from my 55g and alot of water conditioner.   Luckily I didn't lose a single fish, at the time that was about 50 fish ranging from 2" to 12".

Currently I use two canister filters and a large aquaclear hanging filter.  I guess what I'm getting at is if you had another tank, at least a 55g, you could have used that to cycle out your tank sooner.  

On my next big tank I will recycle my water from water changes (15-20%)off my 125g and 55s, which I would try to do once a day to have a tank up and ready in less than week.

I am really impressed with everything you've done on your tank.  It is really awesome!

Raul
      Raul
      PokerFace

Comment

I was under the impression that the water column doesn't hold much, if any, of the nitrifying bacteria. The gravel, tank walls, plants, and of course, filter media are whats important to move. Am I wrong about that?

Ellen

Comment

I think you are basically right but moving a little seed water is better than nothing. Most of the bacteria are on the surface of something. If you have two biological filters in an established tank I know you can take one of those and not cycle the new tank. I think moving plants or gravel from an established tank would be better than water but not good enough to eliminate the need for cycling.

I need to make some sort of caveat about the halogens because that has to be dealt with. The chlorine and or chloramines have to be removed with drops or drops and amquel if you use municipal water. Alterantively the make up water can be cycled or aged.

max

Comment

Working...
          X