This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Labs

I have 29 Yellow Labs (fry) that need to go. One LFS said he wanted them but we never discused the price. How much should expect to get?

Re: Yellow Labs

Depends on size really. It can also depend on his need. If he is having trouble getting labs, and is able to move them quickly, he could offer you something approaching retail, or if able to get them easily and not being able to move them, he could cut the rate all the way to pennies apiece. The question you have to ask is, how much would you pay for a fish like this, then basically cut it in half to 1/4 and thats what you can realistically expect.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Ok, I just thought that there was a rule of thumb lke 1.5-2 is _____ amount. I thought that when they order fish it's like that.

I guess people like us just raise for the fun of it. Because if they give me pennies that won't cover the cost to raise them to this size.

I guess I need to see what the wholesale price is that they can buy it for. If there going to put the screws to me too bad, I will just give them away to somebody who real really like to have them.

Oh well I am having fun anyway.

Comment

That's whats important, anyone who thinks they are going to get rich off fish is poorly mistaken, and I do mean poorly. For a hobbiest, I have a fairly large setup, and I have yet to cover the cost of just the food, much less power, water, filter media, setup expenses, and all the rest that goes with it. In order for me to cover just the food alone, I have to sell $150 worth of fish every month. Needless to say, that just doesn't happen.
        Even if you can find out what a store is paying wholesale, that doesn't mean that they will be willing to give you the same deal. For alot of the retailers, there is a guarantee associated with the orders they place. With you or me however, there is no guarantee. Should they recieve an order with sickly and or dead fish they have some limited recourse with the supplier. If on the other hand the fish that you or I sell him die the next day, he is simply out the cost of those fish. There are exceptions to this of course, as with anything, the harder the item to obtain, the more willing they will be to do buisness with you. As well as the better the store owner/manager knows you, the more willing he/she will be to work out an arrangement. If all else fails, thats what the trade board on here is for.
        Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Working...
        X