This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost shrimp

My dad and I got 15 ghost shrimp the other day because we heard they eat hairline algae and waste at the bottom of tanks. so we bought some and decided to give them a try. I was wandering if anyone had any luck with ghost shrimp and if anyone got them to reproduce in freshwater. Any hints, tips, or advise would be greatly appreciated. They are currently in a 50gl bucket outside.

Mark

Re: Ghost shrimp

I have had them survive in a planted comunity tank for over a year.
    They do a great job keeping things neet.

I would think that they need a change in salanity to hatch
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Actually, ghost shrimp, or glass shrimp as they are also called don't require a change in salinity. The only thing I do with mine is to seperate the females once they start carrying. I isolate the females into 2.5 gallon tanks with heavy airation to insure high oxygen content and water movement. Depending on water temps you should have a hatch in 24-32 days. Hatch sizes can be anything from just a couple to close to 100, depending on the size of the female.
        How do you know if your female is carrying eggs? Thats pretty simple actually. If you look at the abdomen area on the females you will see small dirt colored specks which appear to be inside her abdomen but which are actually attached to her small swim legs. She holds these eggs clamped against her abdomen the entire time, and only releases them once they hatch.
        Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Of the 15 shrimp we got I see eggs on about 4 of them. I am not planning on separating them now because I don’t have room (unless I but them in a 10gl. with 6 guppies and a betta). If the babies become food that’s fine its kind of the second reason we got them (the first being tank cleaners). Another question is, do the shrimp eat there own babies or am I supposed to separate them to keep them safe from other fish?

mark

Comment

Working...
          X