This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peacocks

Who in town has a good selection of Peacocks? Males preferably. Does anybody here know of a local breeder? I also have 29 Yellow Labs, littles ones if anybody needs some or wants to trade. And I watched one of my females breed yesterday so about 15 more on the way. I also have some Orange/Red or German Red's I would let go.

Re: Peacocks

I raise German Reds, Chipoka, and Red Empress.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Scott,

I have the Chipoka also and think the Red Empress might get alittle big for my main tank, it s only 36x24 24 All Glass calls  it 65 gallon. What do you think? After I posted this I went down to Aqua Zoo and bought  a Lemon Jake anda Ngara Flametail. I have had real good luck with the fish from there. I think they try to get good quality fish and are honest people.

I am new here and it's nice to meet you. I think it's great to have a site like this in Houston! Later

Comment

It really depends on what you have in the tank with the Chipoka. I keep 3, 1 male 2 females, in 45 gallon breeders with no problems. At the size this fish achieves, I would think that you could keep one breeding set in the 65 along with several non related species such as labs, or trewavase. The problem with keeping related species, ie. lemon jakes with chipoka is the inherent risk of hybridization along with con-specific agression damaging one of your fish.
        Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I also breed German Red peacocks.  I would agree that a Red Empress might be a tad too aggressive and large for a 3 foot tank.
          If people concentrated on the really important things in life,
          there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Always interested in trading Tangs!

Comment

I am not a breeder of Peacocks,what I am doing is trying to put tgether a all male Peacock tank with maybe some smaller Haps.  Scott was right about the con-specific part. I think it's kinda like a crap shoot. You have to keep trying for the right mix.

Comment

If building a community tank then 2 males would be about it for a 65. Make sure to include plenty of rockwork with distinct boundaries. If you make the rockwork as one continuous wall then one of the males will claim the whole thing as his. If you break it up tho, 1 pile in each of the back corners, each of them can claim a pile for themselves. Then you can place a smaller pile towards the front-center for any other occupants to use as a safe haven. Just be sure to have well defined areas around each mound.

Comment

As long as you do not have any females present, aggression is very low among peacocks.  This is why all male peacock tanks are so popular.  Well, they are also quite colorful.  I am sure that is a great selling feature as well.  I would be careful of the Jakes and Lwandas, especially in a 3 foot tank.
                If people concentrated on the really important things in life,
                there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Always interested in trading Tangs!

Comment

Working...
                X