Ultimate Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Fish

Ultimate Fish is the only fish store near me in Srping, it is locally owned and operated. They sell every kind of fish i have ever seen in a tank. Large varity of Fresh and salt water fish. It may seem a little cramped and disorderly, but the workers are knowledgable and helpful. It is located on 2920 near Rhodes road.

Re: Ultimate Fish

They are kinda pricey, though.  There is also Aquatic World on Jones, and Tropical Fish on 249

Comment

by near me I ment, i live down the road about a mile

Comment

semper where exactlyare those places
        Tropheus Elitist Maximus
        150 Troph & Petro mix Link
        ** P.Trewavasae P.F.Chimba P.M.green **
        ** T.Zongwe**

150 Tropheus Moorii "Murago" Link

Comment

aquatic world is off 290 , exit jones, about a mile

cant miss it right hand side.

tropical fish and pets is on Hwy 249 and North Houston Rosslyn

corner shopping center

Comment

Alex at Ultimate Fish is top notch.

You want exotic fish, he is the man to go an see.

If your into any African cichlids, you have to go there and see his fish.

I have been there many times, and stay for hours...
            380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
            300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
            180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
            150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

when you buy angels and discus from there, check to see if they are imported from SE asia or domestic, the imports have brought the plague in with them. would not risk imports unless you can qt them in a building seperate from your existing tanks.
              GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

My experiance with ultimate fish wasn't great. And being I drove like an hour to get there didn't help either. It started because i needed to get rid of an orange chromide (I was told it was SA fish and lied too.) and hearing about the store, i call up and ask if they will trade it in? They say yes and we have to look at it.

So I trek over around 2pm, I get there at 3, i have to pick up my son at 6, so i had an hour to see and talk about fish. But disaster and mistreatment follow.

I have to actually stop a guy who works there to get to look at my fish, doesn't know what it is... and looks for someone  else to look at it. He looks at me and says "I don't know I thought it was supposed to be Orange?". "Yes, but they also can be green" responding to him. "2 dollars.". In my head I was "What!!! 2 dollars for an hour trek and a semi rare fish!", i gave in. let him have it and get my 2 dollars of trade.
                I browse for 10 minutes, needing help noone was around. they were taking care of customers that came in to the store after me. And then each customer after, completely ignoring me and my questions. so and hour yes an hour before i grab someone and saying i've been bidding my time for help.

Then everyfish i wanted "It's not for sell", they would say. That was a Gym. Balannzi, Chocalte cichlid, and a Geo. Junarpi. Lame. I am outta here, finally i pick out a Lyonsi and jet, 1/2 hour late to pick up my son. I am furious and will never go back for bad service.
                Plecos:
                L083 (Gibby)
                L104 (Clown)
                L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
                L155 (A. Hystrix)
                L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
                LDA72 (BN)
                LDA76 (False Zebra)
                Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
                Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

just goes to show that you can never count on good service or knowledge at a LFS, i was at some store with armthehomeless the other day, and was looking for sponge filters for a shrimp breeding tank im setting up, anywya they had one( a sponge filter) in every single one of their tanks so i asked if they had them and the sales assoiciate didnt have any idea what i was talking about. talk about brain dead, y'all will have to ask armthehomeless what's the name of the place.
                  Never fear I is here
                  David Abeles
                  Vice President
                  Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I herd that the first meeting was a show and tell on how to build a sponge filter ........

Is anyone going to start a write up on filters for the DIY forum
                    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

with no sarcasm intended please excuse me for being blunt and I apologize if I appear to be rude but sorry dude, orange chromide is not rare, only reason you dont see them around is b/c no one wants them just like no one wants convicts. and like ANY store, dont expect to get near what you paid in trade ins. most places i know dont even take fish back for any reason. fish stores are in the biz to sell fish, not take trade ins.

as far as fish that are not for sale, fish stores need to keep display fish too right? just because you wanted to buy a fish thats NFS doesnt make the store lame. did you think maybe the owner likes and wants that fish just as much as you do? hell if i had a store none of the good stuff would be for sale, id keep it on display not only for myself but for other customers who appreciate awesome fish to enjoy too.

and though granted a lot of LFS arent all that, you cant chastise every shop for someone not knowing all. do you know everything about everything? certainly hope so making a comment like such. support good shops that you like and the bad ones will eventually weed themselves out.

and another pet peeve is when ppl complain about prices. yes some stores are outrageous, some are average and some are cheap. as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. remember stores have overhead, employees, electricity: for lights so you can see the fish, so the fish can stay alive, for AC for you to enjoy looking at fish, having fish to look at, etc. thats a lot of crap to pay for so you can browse at fish. plus assuming its a knowledgable fish shop, you also are paying to have ppl who know their stuff to help you. its hard to find knowledgable fish ppl and even harder to keep them around if theyre gettin paid squat. then when there are losses....i think anyone who owns their own business can symapthize. markup on a lot of fish is not as much as ppl think. just check out the markup on prescrip drugs and tell me who's makin a buck on someone. please support your local fish shop.

just my two cents and my standpoint from when i worked in a shop.

cheers!
                      - When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the damn lemons back!

Comment

completly agree with vertigo guy...
                        Resident BUM !!!

Comment

Completely understand the mark up issue and what its like to work at a LFS, been working at fish stores for almost 8 years now, and as anyone who has worked at one should know its a job of passion, never high wages, you dont work in the pet industry for lots of money, you do it because you love it. if you find a nitch and it becomes huge then sometimes you can make big, but as a lot of indepent store owners tell you they dont make a whole lot on the fish, its usually on supplies and maintnance for customers, so yes you can forgive them for not having the totally best workers, but they could still hire helpful ones, i think of business owners would be a little more demanding of good service they would be surprised as how many return customers they would get.

I know i will be shopping at Sunny's whenever i get the chance, even though its WAY WAY outa my way, at least i know i will be treated well and fairly, unlike certain other places where one day im a great customer and get a discount for "being in the business" and the next time he owner doesnt give the discount for mass purchase writen on the tank.

first store i worked at stayed in business simply because of customer loyalty for years, even though the store was going to hell, the owner just didnt have time to manage it properly, spent a lot of time with his daughter (and how can you fault him for that) but the customers still came, because they knew that they would find friendly helpful people waiting to help them, and when i was new i was taught everything, everyday was something new, up until the day the store closed(was there about 2 years)

even though i have worked in the industry and kept i cant even remeber how many types of fish(salt and fresh), and reptile, and everything else, there are still lots fo things i know little about, which is why ou may see lots of posts lately of particular fish questions and the like i am always trying to learn something new.

So for those few stores that keep the faith( like Sunny"S) i commend you, and for those that seem to keep letting me down (dont want to offend by naming how many) well damn you for still having what i need sometimes.
                          Never fear I is here
                          David Abeles
                          Vice President
                          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Alex's store is really a African cichlid store.  He does have some saltwater, but his selection of other cichlids new world, or Asian in this case is extremely limited.

His specialty is Tanganyikans.

I know that some of his help is really green and young guys/gals who may not know much.

Alex is top notch, his staff is hit and miss, that is just fish store economics.

I am not trying to un-justify Armadillo's bad experience which is unfortunate, but in the defense of my claim as Alex's store is the best, I had to make these statements.
                            380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                            300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                            180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                            150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I see where you are coming from, but i called and they were intrested. That was the point. not your defense(and aquria central considers them semi rare), i am sorry to say but my venting is I belive right in they way they treated me, not the way you would treat me. And seeing the way you write in response it would be bad.

Yes i wanted to buy what was on display, who cares they had two or three geos', so what if they sold one, they would have gotten more in an order. Same with the other fish. It is my passion to raise fish like that just as much for you to sell them. They have a better and cheaper way of buying those fish than i do. so why not make the extra buck i was offering, it's not your call. It was their's and they called it. And let me get mad about it.

I did not know that it was mostly african( it was my first time there), but hey i have a fondness for something more than your normal african fish. I prefer americans, to me there is a greater beauty and variety. even though i have a frontosa living side by side with my severum. i still find the SA/CA fish less common in the household, aside from Jds, oscars, GTs, et convicts.

So if they weren't intrested i would have never made the drive, and got what I (me and not you) consider bad service.
                              Plecos:
                              L083 (Gibby)
                              L104 (Clown)
                              L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
                              L155 (A. Hystrix)
                              L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
                              LDA72 (BN)
                              LDA76 (False Zebra)
                              Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
                              Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

Working...