This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Snails for me?

While on the subject snails, of which I know zero, zilch, nada, are there any good snails?  By good I mean snails that don't eat live plants, do eat dead plants and debris, and don't multiply like rabbits?  I'd like to have a couple of large ones, but I don't want to be over run with the little darlings.
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Re: Good Snails for me?

Nerite Snails

They are an excellent algae eating snail  
    They won't eat your plants
    They do not reproduce in freshwater (only in brackish or saltwater)
    They are sensitive to high levels of copper-based medications
    They will not tolerate high nitrate levels.
    They will wander out of the tank due to their intertidal nature.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Thanks, sounds like what I'm looking for.  Now, if I can just find some. They won't last long if they wander out of the tank.  I would think even the oldest and slowest of my cats could catch a snail   .  Well, on second thought, maybe not, they don't seem to remember they're cats most of the time.
      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

I've had some (mail order) for a couple of months and they haven't tried wandering yet.   Recomended  density is 1 snail per gallon but I use 1 snail per fry tank and they have plenty of food.  If you're expecting something as big as a mystery snail youll be dissapointed.  these are only the size of a marble.  They are naturally a brackish water (marsh) snail.
        Maybe I'll find some wild ones at the safari........
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Hey szidlon,
          I just got in an order of 100+ nerites. PhishPreek is right. These snails are awesome...I have to give algae wafers to my plecos now! I sell them to my friends at my cost ~$1.20 each (haven't totaled it all up yet). To see more about them go to www.azgardens.com
          I haven't had any go out of the tank and I have several "topless" tanks. They do climb above the water line every once in a while. If interested, give me a shout.   go4th@pdq.net    I'm also on the Houston Aquarium Society board and have sold to a lot of those folks over the past year since I've "discovered" them. If I have any left, I'll be selling them at the HAS auction on the 21st.
          Marion

Comment

Working...
          X