Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my anubias plants are flowering

....or budding or something

This is in the 30 gallon that I almost had a raging ich plague in.  I removed the sick fish (as well as the guppies that were nipping the fins off of the koi angel and the albino tetra).  I lost an angel and a tetra but I think that's unrelated (the angel wasn't eating since I got him.  I think he was just sick or retarded).  I'd turned off C02 and raised the temp to about 85 degrees and that seemed to do the trick.  Also did about a 30% water change, brought the temp back down, and pruned and rearranged some of the hornwort.

So I'm sitting there breathing a sigh of relieve.  Fins are growing back.  Fish are active again.  The hornort is spread out and I'm just sitting there admiring the way the ripples in the water look with all that green and just enjoying the tank when I notice something....

I've got an anubias barteri in the back that grows to about half the height of the tank and stops.  The plant propogates and is thriving, but it never gets higher than a specific point.  Well yesterday there's a stalk that's aobut twice as high with a little bud coming out of it.  There's also a similar stalk coming out of my coffee leaf anubias that looks like it's doing the same thing.

Sweeeet!

Is this a bud or a flower?  How common is it for anubias to bud/flower underwater?  I wonder if raising the temp did it?

Re: I think my anubias plants are flowering

Congrats on your plant blooms  :clap: .  Yes, it sounds like your Anubias' are blooming.  I have several and two of them have blooms as I type.  They bloom readily underwater.  The buds on mine do not actually actually open into a flower, but a white center appears as the green bud starts to unfold/mature.  I looked for info on mine the when the first bloom appeared and remember reading that in the wild the bloom extends above the water on some varieties.  I don't think it will propogate from buds in an aquarium.  As you can tell, I don't have all the technical lingo on plants (and may other things).  I think the different Anubias' may have different blooms, but they should be similiar.  Don't know about the water temp as I keep mine at about 80 anyway.  I have had good luck with Anubias and my African Cichlids leave them alone.

It's good to hear you saved most of your fish and they are recovering.
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Working...
    X