Colored Glass Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colored Glass Fish

I went to a fish store that was new to me yesterday. The place was Fish Land on Westheimer out past Dairy Ashford; almost to HW6.

First some feedback on the store which I will post up on the store feedback section. The guys who run the place were very friendly, helpful without being pushy. They were very nice to my 4 year old son. The decor isn't "showy" like Aquarium World; its the usual basic functional set up. The tanks were clean, no dead or sick fish that I could see. One guy was doing water tests, and another was cleaning. Both offered to stop and help us though. Not a huge selection, but the not bad, fresh and saltwater. I can't comment on the saltwater (because I know nothing about saltwater!) other than the tanks were clean, and not overcrowded. The freshwater stuff; they ahd a few nice Cichlids, and some of the usual freshwater common fare, but also some interesting and unusual stuff. They had some nice tetras, and some had special deals (neons 10 for $10, glowlights 10 for $7.99).

Which segues on to what we bought...

I have had a handful for Indian Glass Fish in my 150 cmmunity tank for a couple of years. Although the books all say they prefer brackish water, I have had good experience in freshwater. Mine are lively and healthy, and are very interesting fish.

As we walk down the aisles in Fishland, my sone sees a tank full of very brightly colored fish. He has a small tank of his own in his bedroom. When I get close to the tank I see these fish are Indian Galss Fish, but they have been artificially colored or dyed. Personally I am not a big fan of this practice, but try explainng that to a 4 year old 3 days before his 4th birthday!!!

So we bought 5 - purple, yellow, green, blue and pink. These things are neon bright, like a highlighter pen! My son loves them! We moved his guppies into my big tank, and put his new fish in.

I just thought I would post up about these things. Firstly I have previously found these fish kind of rare in the shops. Secondly I wondered if anyone else has experience of these things...
    Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Re: Colored Glass Fish

Sounds like they've been dyed, which means you probably got ripped off.  If they survive they will most likely lose their brilliant color.  These fish are usually hand dyed by injection, which means they put 'em on a slab and stick it with a needle numerous times to put the dye under it's skin.  I guess technicly speaking, it's not even a true dye as there's no molecular bond to the skin, just pockets of colored ink imbedded in the fish's flesh.  As you can imagine, this is not good for the fish.  Even the ones that survive will have shorter lifespans.

A buddy of mine bought a dyed parrot fish.  It was bright blue when he got it and less than a year later it had gone back to being it's natural orange.

I hate to sound like a PETA nut or something but I think it behooves us all as fishkeepers to avoid enabling practices which are harmful to the fish we keep.  The dyeing of fish really irks me, especially when there are so many natural alternatives such as with fancy-tailed guppies, neon tetras, etc.

Also, I wouldn't blame the store.  It's sounds like a pretty good place.  Unfortunately, a lot of retailers don't know these fish are dyed, or if they do, are unaware of the actual process or the fact that the dye fades relatively quickly.

Of course that's a generalization.  I could be wrong about these particular fish.  Here's hoping that your son has fish that stay beautiful and healthy.

Comment

Yes, they probably are dyed...its a personal decision of fishkeepers whether they want to support buying dyed fish or not, BUT its hard for store owners not to buy something that some people want. There are only a handful of stores that don't supply painted fish. I personally like Fish Land a ton, the older man is really really nice and seems knowledgeable. Their prices seem pretty fair also. Like charlie said, the dye will fade out, if they even live that long...hopefully they're fighters. :)
      Best of luck,
      Ellen

Comment

some of the most beautiful fish i have ever had were skillet reacues. i've always had sunperch. they are very colorful and are rather lively if any one is looking for some, i can rescue some from dinner for you too

Comment

Like I said in my original post, they have definitely been dyed or colored. I know Indian Glass Fish, and they don;t come with neon yellow, purple, blue, green and orange variants. I am no PETA freak at all, but I am against the practice too. Its just tough to explain ethical convictions to a 3 year old just before his 4th birthday!

The store keeper knew for sure they were dyed. He know too much about other stuff to not know.

Anyway, a week later and all of the ones we have bought are seemingly healthy. What still amazes me is that these fish are supposedly sensitive, especially if kept in completely non-brackish water...
          Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Working...
          X