Traveling fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling fish

I will be moving soon and need to know the best way to bring my fish with me without stressing them out too much.  Last time I moved I took out most of the water in the tank so it would not overspill in my car.
     There was still a ton of sloshing.  Every bump was torture, and I'm sure my poor fish were scared out of their wits.  Thankfully they all survived, but I don't want to put them through that again if I don't have to.  If you are familiar with Houston, I'll be moving from Spring to Pasadena, which must feel like traveling an eternity if you are a poor goldfish.  A trip I'm sure will literally scare my fish to death if I don't get some help.  I'm open to ideas.  Please inform.  Thanx.

Re: Traveling fish

Without knowing how many fish you have, I would say use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and put the fish in there for the trip. If you have a lot of fish, you can put them in a trashcan with the water and move them that way. You don't necessarily want to keep them in the tank while you're moving them if you take out most of the water because they will be scraped across the rocks everytime you make a turn or stop, which could cause injury. Try to save at least half of the water.

Comment

Yes, save your water if you can in coolers or buckets.  I would suggest a portable air pump with an air stone especially if you have alot of fish.  Adding some stress zyme and aquarium salt wouldn't hurt either.  

Raul
      Raul
      PokerFace

Comment

I have some bag buddies if you would like to use them for the move.
        It helps relax the fish when traveling.

Walter
        Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
        Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
        Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Thank you for the help.  I don't have too many, only a large comet, an algae eater, and two small fan tail ones.

Comment

You can get buckets for the fish, thats how I moved mine from Baytown to College Station. Because you aren't moving that far, you really shouldn't need a battery operated air supply. Just aerating them before you leave and then when you arrive until the tank is set up again, should be fine. I would put the comet in its own bucket, the algae eater in its own bucket, and the fantails together in another together. Also, adding a few aquarium plants to the buckets will keep the fish calm, because they'll have a place to hide. You can get 2.5 gallon buckets or 5 gallon buckets in the paint section at wal-mart for cheap, if you don't already have some extras laying around from your water changes.
            Hope that helps.
            Ellen

Comment

If your buckets have no lid, you may want to think about covering them with a towel or something just to keep the light out.

Comment

You may want to consider lining the white buckets with black trash bags.

The white spooked some of my fish and they jumped out.  
                If you can keep them in the dark they cope better.
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I got blue buckets from walmart, they seem to not spook the fish as much if they have some floating plants as cover.

Comment

We put your fish in first, so he'll be the last one we take out.

'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

lol too funny!

Ellen

Comment

Working...
                      X