Tank Leveling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Leveling

As some of you know I just purchased a 6ft long 125gal tank and stand. I am getting ready to move it into my living room which has Berber Carpet (Picture). My land lord has requested I make the bottom of the stand solid so it won't leave a square ring in the carpet. Will the carpet recover after moving the tank? How do I go about leveling the stand? Do I just move it in and cross my fingers that it will be level.

Removed picture!1 Seemed like a waste of space and bandwidth!! Jason
    Smokin_Cache
    Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
    Lets see what the imagination fruits.
    Check out my last tank

Re: Tank Leveling

If you Landlord ask you to to make the bottm solid. Just put a piece of plywood under it.
    As long as you do as he request, then he is responible for it.

As far as leveling it. I would fill it half way up & then put a level on it.

Walter
    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
    Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

The plywood base will make it easier to level. (make sure it is thick.
      Home Depot & other places that sell doors, sell a set of wooden wedges
      The wedges are used between the door frame and wall studs to square
      the door.  Just incert them between the stand and the plywood at the low places and tap them with a hammer untill everything is level.  Then trim off all the wedge that sticks out.
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Hmmm! I will have to look at it. My stand has about 2" of no load wood around the frame (skin and trim). My floor is concrete under the carpet so That is one less thing I have to worry about sagging as the tank is filled.

Thanks for your help,

Jason
        Smokin_Cache
        Check out my last tank

Comment

A simple way to level a tank if the stand is nice and solid is to use a sheet of styrofoam. The weight of the tank will cause it to settle into the foam and auto level itself. Wedges will work, but why waste the time and effort, foam is a no brainer with no chance of a mistake causing cracked glass.
          Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

What type of styrofoam? Suppliers? Thanks
            Smokin_Cache
            Check out my last tank

Comment

Plain old insulation styrofoam white, pink, or blue. You can get it in 2x4 or 4x8 sheets at Lowes or Home Depot.
              Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Thanks
                Smokin_Cache
                Check out my last tank

Comment

Working...
                X