Shipping fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping fish

Anyone have experience shipping fish? I've read good and bad comments about kordons breathable bags and regular fish bags, but which is overall better? If using regular fish bags, is pumping pure oxygen into the bag nessesary, or is the "quick grab" method good enough?

Re: Shipping fish

I have shipped a lot of bettas but my experience shipping other types of fish is limited.

The breathable bags work.
    Also there are tablits - I think they are called "Bag buddies" and they release oxygen when they disolve.  
    I use oxygen when I can just because I like the extra protection.

When shipping you need to fill the bag one third with water and two thirds with air and double bag it incase they spring a leak.
    Also this time of year you need to keep an eye on the weather at your destination.   You will need an insulated box and a 36hr heat pack if its snowing there.  Later in the summer you will need a cold pack.  I generallly fill the box with wadded up newspaper to keep the bags of fish from rolling around and put all the paperwork in a ziplock bag just in case.  

Also the postoffice will freek if your box starts leaking so I line the entire box with a big plastic bag.   Add your phone number on the outside just incase the shipping agent has any questions.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

If anyone is experienced at shipping ship, with at least a 95% survival rate, please let me know if you can pack for me and how much you will charge. I have 8(maybe 10) fish around 2.5in-3.5in that I need to ship out in about 1-2weeks.

Comment

What kind of fish are you planning on shipping & were to.

Walter
        Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
        Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
        Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Walter,

PM sent.

Comment

Hi Jose,
            Come by and I will bag it for you with pure oxegen for free.  Bring the box.

dan
            Visit Houston Aquarium Warehouse in Stafford Texas 77477
            www.houstonaquariumwarehouse.com

Comment

Working...
            X