Houston area tapwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston area tapwater

I am just curious if most of people here are using tapwater for their aquariums. I searched houston water quality report, but there is little information about the KH/GH and TDS. How is houston's tapwater for aquarium?  

Re: Houston area tapwater

Houston is a big place and making generalizations about the water is risky. You should get a test kit and test for a while and draw your on conclusions. I bet it is hard with high pH. I have a well and a lake. My well water sometimes contains something that lowers the disolved oxygen in the water. I suspect organic material.

well water pH – 8.1
                   KH – 9
                   GH – 15 (very hard to see end point)

Lake water pH – 7.5
                    KH – 11
                    GH – 15 (very hard to see end point)

My mother carries my water to avoid using city tap water. Your water may contain chloramines which are more persistant than the halogens. With the talk of terrorism there is no telling what the city might put in the water tommorrow to try to make it safe. Maybe its best to cycle a little water for water changes and use a test fish with your test kit. I am willing to bet a lot of people are using dechlorinator and amquel and have never had a problem.

max

Comment

Thanks for the words.
      I do use water conditioner, but I'm just a little worried about the high GH and pH may be harmful for my plants and prospective fish (neon tetra).

Comment

It has been my experience that the local tap water runs about 200 hardness and 7+ pH.  (surface water from the Sheldon resevoir) I use it for most of my fish and about once a year the water has so much poison in it that even with treatment it kills a bunch of my fish.   I've gotten to where I Have an empty 40g tank that is nothing but makeup water (aged and filtered for a week before I use it).  and I've been known to use my culls to test a setup before I put any nice fish in the tank.

Also, I keep a rainwater barrel with a layer of oak leaves in the bottom.
        It makes great soft acid water for my wild caught bettas. (pH 6 or below)
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

From my testing, Houston's water is hard and high ph over 8. Those ph decreasers aren't much help. I use tapwater. Took about 3 weeks before I could safely add fish to my tanks.

Comment

Rain water is a great idea ! :clap:

Comment

Rain water is good to use untill we have ACID rain.
              Tap water is terrible in Houston.
              Your better off storing it for at least 24 hours with some kind of dechlorinator & air rating it with a heater in it set to the temp of the tanks.
              The almond leaves do help to soft the water or you can use peet moss that is alot cheaper. if useing peet moss put some in a stocking & drop in your water storage.

Walter
              Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
              Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
              Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Some of the betta breeders are collecting the condensate from their A/C drains for use in their spawn tanks.  You know how much we get in the summertime  8)

Also, the gardning stores sell compressed peat in a nylon bag.(add water and you have an instant plant pot for starting seeds)  Great for softening a tank and easy to remove.
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I haven't had a problem, but then again I'm keeping mostly hardier fish such as livebearers and bettas.  Most delicate thing I have is the koi angel and a couple marble angels and those were added to an already well-established planted tank.

Usually I'll treat for chlorine/chloramines and keep my water in gallon jugs for at least 24 hours before adding.

I'm not sure how you discus folks manage.

Comment

My tap water is horrible. SO hard it cracks the pan when I flush! Well it would be, but I had a water softener put in, and an R/O system for drinking water soon after we bought the house. Advantages are many, not just for fish! My main tank is 150g that i try to keep medium soft and slightly acidic (a compromise for a community). It would be impossible without the softener. Think about it...I can hook my Python right on the kitchen tap. Some people say the salts build up...2 years in and nothing yet. I use R/O for the smaller tanks.

The advantages for non fish stuff? I use a lot less sopa and shampoo in the shower (which has no etching), our dishes and clothes was better, and no white spots when I wash the car!
                    Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Working...
                    X