Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 dead fish

Hey guys,
    I dont know whats going on in my cichlid tank,but 2 days ago my OB peacock die and today my taiwan reef and flametail are both dead with all the eyes are missing.. I am thinking my green terror is going wild,but not sure.I just took the GT out and place him by himself in the net.

Re: 3 dead fish

Check your water parameters. The eyes are usually the first thing to get eaten after a fish is dead, regardless of the cause of death. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Comment

More specifics.....pls.

What size tank?  How many fish?  Anything changed (added/removed) in the past week?  Last time you did a water change?  Vacuumed?  Are the fish swimming fine or are they swimming around the top near the suface with their "noses" pointed up?

Raul
      Raul
      PokerFace

Comment

I did the water changed a week ago.I have around 20-25 cichlids in a 72G tank..The rest of the fish seem to swim around acting normal.The only difference I can think of is i was away on the day that those fish die is that i fed them 1/day instead of 2/day..I notice on someof the cichlid in the tank also have their fin nipped..I am guessing the green terror  got hungry or something..

Comment

Well, you are doing what I would do then.  Process of elimination....guess you'll see if it was the GT in a few days.

Raul
          Raul
          PokerFace

Comment

My biggest concern is why a GT would be in with a bunch of Africans in the first place. SA cichlids are known for 2 things, size and aggression. Putting aside the different water requirements of the disparate species, SA's and Africans should never be combined. Africans have a reputation for aggression, but compared to the SA's in general, they are pacifists. Africans stake claim to a relatively small space and defend it against, for the most part, conspecifics. SA's on the other hand stake claim to a much larger area and defend it against all comers. Putting Africans in with SA's is akin to putting Guppies with Oscars. Sure, the Guppies may be fine for a day or two, but would you really want to be a Guppy in this situation?
            Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Scott, when i first start this hobby.I didnt know much about these cichlids personality and the LFS recommended just about all different cichlids for me to buy.1 thing i learned about this hobby is not to trust a few of the LFS.

Comment

:king:  smart man. Live and Learn.  :wink:

Comment

You will find the same is true of "free advice" given over the internet.
                  9 out of 10 will give you good advice but watch out for #10.

General rule of thumb is use you head - don't do something that seems wrong - it probobably is.
                  'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                  He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

with the exception of my 135. i keep them seperate.  

however in the 135 i have a mix of africans and sa cichlids

have several mbuna in with a jack dempsey, firemouth, and blood parrots as well as a large catfish and pleco.  

been set up for close to two years now.

have an online buddy that successfully has kept them together for years now and that is how i got the idea to do it.

no problems yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X