Woodchuck ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodchuck ?

Is anyone interested in a Safari to gather driftwood ?

Problem is the driftwood that is waterloged sinks to the bottom of the bayou.
    However we should be able to gather good looking stuff that has floated down the bayou and beached itself.
    Anyone have a source of slate to make a base for this kind of wood ?
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Re: Woodchuck ?

That sounds like it would be fun.  

I don't know about where to find slate though.

I've actually toyed with the idea of floating driftwood in a tank.  In the past I've tied java moss to pieces of cork with really good results (until the polyester thread came loose and one of my plecos got tangled in it).  Seems like floating driftwood would just be on a larger scale.

A while back I pick up a couple of small pieces from Fish Ranch just to see.  We're talking about 1-2 inches long and maybe 1/2 inch wide...about the same as the wine corks i'd been using.  I stuffed a piece of anubias nana in one and some java moss in the others.

They all sank within two days.  Doesn't it figure, as many people that have problems getting their driftwood to sink after weeks of soaking, when I want them to float, they won't

I still haven't given up on the idea yet.  I'm told cottonwood is good for floating driftwood.  I don't know anything about it, though, especially whether or not it's local.  That it's brown and looks cool in a tank is about the extend of my knowledge of driftwood/bogwood.

Comment

i picked up some pieces at lake houston that were fairly large and looked pretty good, just went to the the water edge, letting them dry for a while and then gonna clean them off (seems they are too large for my 60) so will wait till i can get larger tank for them, but i have used wood just out of my yard in my planted tanks without any ill effect so maybe yu dont need to go looking for driftwood, but could just go around on heavy trash day with a hack saw and a hatchet.
      Never fear I is here
      David Abeles
      Vice President
      Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I picked up a lot od driftwood last year around the Lynchburg Ferry crossing. I let it sit in the sun several days before submerging it in a tank of water and a little bleach to kill any nasties it might have. Then I emptied the water and refilled it several time to rinse the bleach off, and to try to waterlog it. None of what I had ever stayed submerged, so I gave up on the idea. I have a small pile of floating driftwood at my house if anyone is looking for some.
        75gal heavy planted tank
        pea gravel on soil substrate
        DIY CO2
        3 zebra botias, 9 glowlights, 2 yoyo loachs, wild guppies

55gal planted
        same substrate
        DIY CO2
        1 gold, 1 zebra, 4 koi, 2 dark zebra angels, ghost & amano shrimp

Comment

The old fashoned way is to get a piece of slate or tile smaller than the bottom of the tank and drill a couple of 3/8" holes in it.
          Then secure the driftwood to the slate with some 1/4" wood screws.

The slate doesn't have to be heavy enough to hold the driftwood down,  you just cover the base with gravel until it stops trying to float.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Yes,  I was thinking the ferry landing would be a great place to beach comb.   Although most pieces are too large for a 20g,  I am from the school of southern engineering......... cut to fit.

Comment

boiling smaller pieces helps water log them so they will stay sunk.
              GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Working...
              X