betta info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• betta info

Hi, I just got a betta and i need info about anything about them. T.G.F.F.!!!!!!! (Thank Goodness For Fish)

Re: betta info

There have actually been some pretty good discussions on bettas. Do a search on betta and you'll find them. I just got my first one too.

Comment

cool what color is it? mine is blue.

Comment

A deep red. I really like it.

Comment

By the way, WELCOME!!

Comment

thanks. i named mine Blue. in a month i'm gonna get him a girlfriend that is blue too. i like the color blue

Comment

Welcome to the Houston Fish Box shooter.

max

Comment

The blue in blue bettas is a combination of two genes.  
                One is a dark blue called steal.  
                The other is a light Turquoise called green.  
                When a Steal is bread to a Green all the fry are blue.
                When 2 blues are bread together they will produce 50% blue, 25% Steal and 25% Green.  
                And of course if you breed your blue to a steal or green female, you will get a 50/50 split.
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Howdy Mr. Baker, we appreciate the betta you gave KC...aka Shooter yesterday.  He has not stoped talking about the little guy; think he has finally found a breed of fish he likes.  He is working on a science fair projcet (plant teas made from animal manures) for school.  I will have to tell him to check the HFB tomorrow because you left a message for him about the betta's colored genes.  If all goes well I think we will try and breed the Blue!  Glad your platties are doing well!  later, ken

Comment

Many betta breeders use a tea made from Indian Almond Leaves.
                    This is supposed to be great stuff for healing wounds, making fighters more aggressive and inspiring spawning activities.  I know it lowers the pH,  the other things I take on faith.
                    I have also used a tea made from dried bananna leaves.  This also lowers the pH but it has been my experience that it makes the males calmer and I use it when the males would rather fight than spawn.

I also discovered that soaking oak leaves the our city water will lower the pH and hardness.

And from the Killiefish breeders you will get lotso of tips on using peat to treat their water.

I will be very interested in KC's report on manure teas.   If nothing else, they should be great daphnia food.
                    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Plant teas made from animal manures sounds like something the HLA might be interested in. I wonder if he might like to be a speaker at one of our meetings some time?

max

Comment

Good evening Max and Mr. Baker,

KC used the the animal teas from goat, rabbit and chicken.  Some of the teas were so strong they made the plants grow really fast but burned the edge of the leaves.  I will let you know how he does on the project and will ask if he can give a 5 minute program at the next meeting because he still has the teas and four swedish ivy plants he used.  Water was used for the control on the fourth ivy and it grew the slowest.

Mr. Baker you are right I was reading some where in one of the Asian countries that they yous animal manures to make green water to feed the daphnia that they raise for the fisheries.  Thick it was chicken manure.  Sounds like the making of another science fair project.  later, ken

Comment

I've seen an artical that recomends using white chicken manure / tea as a food source for raising BrineShrimp.

Also seen an artical recomending rabbit pellets for daphnia food (to feed the infusoria that the daphnia eat).  You can use eather pellets - the ones that go in or the ones that come out.  :wink:

Comment

Working...
                          X