Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking suggestions to round out this group...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking suggestions to round out this group...

OK gang, now that Ken and Mark have graciously accepted my massive population of newborn platies and Mollies, I'm open to recommendations on what would work with my community.  So far I have, in 72 gallons, ...

1 Sunset Platy (yes, I kept the odd one and gave away all of the Wag Tails)
    2 Green Emerald Cories
    6 Red-eyed Tetras
    3 Cloan Loaches
    and my crown jewels... 2 Red Blood Parrots

I was thinking about Gouramis, to get more activity at the surface.  I'd also like some different colors.  Fish of a 4-5 inch adult size would be ideal.

I keep the water at 80 F and neutral.

Re: Taking suggestions to round out this group...

First you have to consider that the Parrots are Cichlid Crossbreeds and as such naturally aggressive.... will eat plants and make holes in the gravel.
    Dont know how big yours are now but they get big like a sevrum.

The clown loaches should be OK if they are 3" or better.

The Tetras & the platy will last as long as they are healty (fast) but their days are numbered.

Cories are normally OK in a comunity but as soon as you see the Parrots picking on them you will need to pul them.

If I were to pick tankmates for medium size Parots I would look for other mid-size american and SA chiclids(Angel), a pleco, Tinfoil barbs, black shark,
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

how about a discus or two

Comment

You kept a platy lol. We might sign you up for the HLA yet. Ha Ha. Have fun.

max

Comment

The Parrots and Clowns are my keepers.  The Parrots are about 4 inches and the Loaches about 2.5-3, though I know that they will be bigger  I can't imagine the Parrots being aggressive, but I was well aware of the nature of their parents.  They are very timid, almost awkward, and seldom move with much pace, unless retreating from a disturbance.  I actually have mine feeding mostly from the surface.  They like baby shrimp.  Have't seen them burrowing for food yet but it is a behavior that I will probably see if I add food that hides there.  Everything in my tank so far is well-behaved.  It's the Tetras that don't leave each other alone sometimes.  The Parrots, in keeping with what I've read about them, have staked out a spot under some driftwood and dart for their home whenever something in the room moves.  But they are a joy to watch.  The way they peek out to see if it's safe is almost funny.  The Loaches love sucking the top surface of the wood.   :wink:

Comment

Saw a 120g tank in a waiting room today.

They had pink Parrots, Yellow Labs and some really big Silver Dolars.
            Along with some other large barbs or Carp that I could not identify.
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

You might think about a pair of kissing gouramis.  My coworker has two of them in with two parrots and they all get along fine.

Comment

Working...
              X