Tetras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tetras

Saturday night I went and got a little two and a half gallon eclipse tank for my kids and we added our first betta to the tank. It's doing great. What I'm wondering is if we can add some of the neon tetras to it. I've never had tetras, but I've always wanted to have some of those. Is the tank too small? If not, then how many should I get? Also, would the tetras be ok in my water straight from the tap? I don't normally adjust the ph. I'm probably just going to end up getting some from petsmart or something. What do you folks think? thanks, ken

Re: Tetras

You could probably put one or two tetras in it but i'm not sure I'd recommend it as most tetras are schooling fish and you'd need at least 6 or 7 to be worth it.  They definitely do better in a school.

With my neons and glow-light tetras I didn't do anything special regarding PH or anything.  Just make sure the tank is already cycled.

If it were me, I'd set up another tank, at least a ten gallon, and get a small school going.  With lots of plants of course.  :)

Comment

Well, I like Village - they carry Cardnals as well as Neons and usually have a good price on 10 which make a great school.   They look great in a planted tank but mine always seem to be less hardy than the Livebearors I keep them with.   But with a 2g, I think you should plan on a maximum of 2 more fish.   I'd go with and O-cat or a Corry and zebra.

one top feeder, on bottom feeder and one for the middle of the tank.
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Yeah, I definitely need something small to clean the bottom of the tank. The cardinals are a little bigger right? I might go with 2 tetras and Ocat. I'll just have to stay on top of the water changes. Anyone have any suggestions for plants for a tank this size? Anyone have any plants to donate? This will also be my first real planted tank. Low light though.

Comment

I can bring starters of these - just let me know what you'ld like to try
          these were all grown with standard aquarium lighting - single flourescent bulb and a little liquid fertilizer.
          I flunked Latin in the 8th grade so you'll have to make do with common names

Java Moss on a stump - looks like a tree but the moss can grow so fast it will choke your tank

Water Sprite - grows & multiplies well as a floating plant but if you root it - gets really big

Cript ? - takes a while to get started but once established it sends out roots in everydirection and new plants grow from the roots.  Stays about 6-8"  great for a small tank.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Cardnals & Neons are really the same fish.   The Cardnals have been selectively bread for more red color.   Generations of inbreedind have made them a little weeker.  They are generally smaller and more expensive (when you can find them) But with TLC they will grow to 1.5" just like the neons.

Also rather than an Ocat you could use
            2 or 3 Nerite Snails (1/2" dia. olive colored) 1 per galon recomended
            They are an excellent algae eating snail  
            They won't eat your plants
            They do not reproduce in freshwater (only in brackish or saltwater)
            But keep the lid on as they will wander out of the tank due to their intertidal nature.

Comment

Great info! Thanks! Where are you going to bring them? I do already have some java moss.

Comment

How About we all make fish box hats and meet at the HAS auction ?

Comment

Do you know when that is? I thought they said the 9th, but they still haven't updated the site.

Comment

I talked to the American Legion Folks yesterday and the room as yet is still not reserved ......

There seems to be some confusion about the reserved date and a fax machine has been hogging the line so they were unable to clarify it.

Comment

Village Tropicals has plenty of Neons (10/$15)  and Cardnals (10/$25)
                      and lots of other goodies if you cant find you tetras closer to home.........

Comment

That water sprite looks pretty sweet.  Is it readily available?

Comment

Never tried to buy any but there always seems to be a breeder around with a surplus.   I used to keep half a dozen potted in those plastic pots that you get when you buy poted plants.   They were happy and I could pick them up by the pot and drop them in another bare spawning tank when necessary.
                          Female Bettas need a hiding place while the male is building his nest.
                          When the plant gets beat up it will breakup in small pieces and all the little joints will grow roots  and soon thereafter a new branch will form and you soon have another small plant

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
                            Cardnals & Neons are really the same fish.   The Cardnals have been selectively bread for more red color.   Generations of inbreedind have made them a little weeker.  They are generally smaller and more expensive (when you can find them) But with TLC they will grow to 1.5" just like the neons.

Also rather than an Ocat you could use
                            2 or 3 Nerite Snails (1/2" dia. olive colored) 1 per galon recomended
                            They are an excellent algae eating snail  
                            They won't eat your plants
                            They do not reproduce in freshwater (only in brackish or saltwater)
                            But keep the lid on as they will wander out of the tank due to their intertidal nature.
                            Actually Cardinal Tetras and Neon Tetras are two different fish from two different places, they just look similar.

The Cardinal Tetra's scientific name is Paracheirodon axelrodi and they're found in the Upper Orinoco and Negro River Basins, while the Neon Tetra's scientific name is Paracheirodon Innesi and they're found in the blackwater or clearwater stream tributaries of the Solimoes River. The Cardinal also grows slightly larger than the neon at 2" where the Neon normally tops out at 1.5". They are both finicky fish as far as water quality goes, but I've never had a problem buying healthy specimens of either from stores.

Ellen

Comment

Either way, I think I'm going to get a few this weekend. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X