This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• word choice

Fish keeping will die off with the old fish keepers unless young people are encouraged to keep fish. One of our goals and ambitions using this site should be to foster an environment conducive to producing young fish keepers. Frankly the internet is full of places where children should not go. To keep this website from being one of those places we need to use language that we would not be ashamed to hear our four year olds say in front of the congregation at church. OK that is censorhip and just plain common sense. I am just another website user expressing my opinion. This is not my website any more than it is yours. I urge you to edit your posts to make sure they are professional and friendly. If you see me making a mistake please PM me and remind me I said this.

max

Re: word choice

Well said.
    Raul
    PokerFace

Comment

You got my vote! As a father of two, I learned very quickly that my 4 y o has a perfect ear and photographic memory!

Its not censorship to protect your kids from things they are not old enough to comprehend....
      Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

My dad is a man of words and in his younger days, every day he would open the dictionary and learn to use a new word.   He claimed that the only excuse for using vulgar 4-letter words was ignorance and the inability to command the english language.  So take your time and choose your words with care.... they will have a more profound effect.  :devil:
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Susie met Jane in the hallway on the first day of school.

Susie - "How was your summer?"

Jane - "My folks sent me to Europe to see the world."

Susie - "Fantastic"

Jane -"And I met the cutest guy. He's a count and he's drives a Porche"

Susie - "Fantastic"

Jane - "And he loves me and hes going to marry me."

Susie - "Fantastic"

Jane - "So what did you do this summer?"

Susie - "My mom sent me to Charm school and they taucht me to say
          Fantastic  instead of bull#%*@."
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by guppymax";p="
            Fish keeping will die off with the old fish keepers unless young people are encouraged to keep fish. One of our goals and ambitions using this site should be to foster an environment conducive to producing young fish keepers. Frankly the internet is full of places where children should not go. To keep this website from being one of those places we need to use language that we would not be ashamed to hear our four year olds say in front of the congregation at church. OK that is censorhip and just plain common sense. I am just another website user expressing my opinion. This is not my website any more than it is yours. I urge you to edit your posts to make sure they are professional and friendly. If you see me making a mistake please PM me and remind me I said this.

max
            Did I miss something? Was there an issue with language on the board? In anycase, please let me know if there is anything questionable by clicking on the red exclamation point on the post. This will send me an email and I'll make a decision. thanks

Comment

I think we hold ourselves to such a high standard of conduct that I cannot imagine that you will ever need to make a decision.

max

Comment

Thats ok Ken, I  missed it too. Not sure what evedryone is going on about, so far things seem pretty tame to me.
                Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

just call it a Preemptive strike...

Comment

Obvoiusly, nothing happened or we would have all noticed. We like it tame and we are having a philosophical/intellectual discussion. Would anyone like to express an opinion of this higher standard: "use language that we would not be ashamed to hear our four year olds say in front of the congregation at church"?

max

Comment

Originally posted by guppymax";p="
                      higher standard: "use language that we would not be ashamed to hear our four year olds say in front of the congregation at church"?

max
                      I completely agree with the higher standard.  I've only been a member a few days but enjoy the raport here.  I haven't read anything offensive, but I also have not read all the past posts.  Each individual will have their own opinion of what they consider offensive.  Hopefully there will not be any word wars that seem to bring out the worst in some people.  I believe example is one of the most important sources a young person has to set their own personal standards by.  .
                      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

That is referred to as flaming and I will delete those posts as I'm made aware. Also, I'd rather not have pre-emptive strikes on what's right and wrong. Everyone can read the board rules above the search box at the top of the page. If those rules are not abided by, then I'll address it. Let's give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I have young children as well and won't let anything get out of hand. Also, from what I've seen thus far, you guys/gals will help me take care of our users that don't comply! :) thanks, ken

Comment

Working...
                        X