Melanochromis auratus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melanochromis auratus

My first African cichlid tank has been up and running now for a month. I have five adult Melanochromis auratus in an old 100 gallon tank with two sponge filters and a box filter. It has 1/2 - 3/4 of washed sand on the floor and a buncha different sized PVC pipes for caves. Grandma is about 4-5 inches long and she goes and stays where ever she wants and everyone else has to move. I think you are supposed to have one male but I have two. The dominate male is more colorful and second in the order of peck. The submissive male is third in the order of peck and the smaller females follow. The smallest female is allowed to go just about anywhere because she is not a threat I suppose. From what I read I expected the pvc and sand to be all piled up in a corner. Grandma is building a hill but so far they are not the root and scoot diggers that I expected. I talk about them some some more in "soup anyone".

I would rate myself as a real beginner in this forum.

max

Re: Melanochromis auratus

The Melanochromis auratus are all colored up and aggressive. The ones I thought were females are dark like the males now. Maybe they are all males. They are either going to breed or kill each other. They chase each other in a very small circle.

max

Comment

Re: Melanochromis auratus

I like those fish. I have a single albino.

Comment

Working...
      X