Yellow Labs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Labs

I would like to know about yellow labs. I have had three babies and don't know anything about breeding. I have found one three different times and don't know if they have only one at a time or more and they are getting eaten. I would like to put one who has a mouth full now in a smaller tank but don't know what I need. Rocks, air, heater, all or none of the above and then what?

Re: Yellow Labs

I my colony, I got rid of all except the alpha male and 3 females.
    still, I think they were eating some of the young as I would only see one or two at a time and the young would always dive for cover when I tried to net and remove them.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by printer";p="
      I would like to know about yellow labs. I have had three babies and don't know anything about breeding. I have found one three different times and don't know if they have only one at a time or more and they are getting eaten. I would like to put one who has a mouth full now in a smaller tank but don't know what I need. Rocks, air, heater, all or none of the above and then what?
      I know your setup contains a handful of african cichlids and the female is definitely having more than one offspring. They are most likely being eaten by tankmates. You can move her into another tank. All you need to do is have a filter and heater. Put some substrate and water from your main tank into fill your smaller tank. That should be enough to keep the cycle going. Before you go through the trouble though, you should have a plan with what you are going to do with those new fish. Otherwise, it may be better to continue to use them as fish snacks.

Comment

Okay, you are probably right, they evidently make good snacks. Just thought it would be interesting to watch the process and see how many babies I could get. I would eventually have to put them back and they would get eaten. Why is someone calling them fry, is that correct instead of babies. I also don't quite get the ranking. If everyone has 17 why are they not the same rank?

Comment

Oh, yes, definitely, if you want to just experience it and learn from it, go for it. Isolate her in a new tank. Then, like you said, you can always use them as food that way too. A fry is a baby in the fish world.

Comment

Lab females will typically have roughly 20 fry per spawn. Luckily these guys are large enough that they don't reqire any special foods as fry. Basically once they consume the yolk sack you can start them off on powdered flake and they will do fine. The good thing about these guys is that they grow extremely fast, look to have 1" fish within a month and a half and 2 mos time. By 4 mos they should be nearly 3" and easily sold.
            Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I would like to know what sac and is that each indivual fry or the whole brood in one sac? Did I say that correctly?Also I have been watching them and you are right they grow really fast and they seem to know their place in the fish world. I just was really wondering about how many and if they were getting eaten before they saw much of the world. I am enjoying my tank immensely and thank my son for setting me up. First time I've ever done this. Thanks in advance for all the friendly help.

Comment

When young fish go to school there is no cafateria to provide food, so they must take a sack lunch with them untill they are big enough to catch their own.  One sack each and no sharing.  

As me mum would say, "pull the other leg, it has bells!"   :P

"yolk sac”
                Definition: A larval structure enclosing stored nutrients derived from the egg. In many fish it is retained for a period after hatching.
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

The yolk sac will last approx 3 days, at which time the newly hatched fry will have absorbed it. At this point they will begin to eat real food, which in the case of Lab fry can be nothing more extravagant than crushed and powdered flake food. As phreek said, each fry is hatched out with its own yolk sac, and depends on this for its first few days.
                  Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Thanks you guys. Really informative stuff and thanks for the site address Phreek. Maybe if I use it I won't be asking so many questions but  then what else would you do with your time. I'll be back I'm sure.

Comment

It sounds like you are learnig all about it. Great job guys.

max

Comment

yesterday, i noticed one of my females was holding

i moved her to a separate tank

unaware how long

should have some fry pretty soon

Comment

In approx 2 weeks you should notice that the bulge has gotten slightly smaller. This means she has hatched. Now is the time to strip her. The sooner you strip her of fry, the sooner she will start eating again, the less stress overall on her. Once you strip her sepperate her from the fry for a couple days before reintroducing her to the main tank. This will allow her to regain her strength, remember she has been fasting for the last 2 weeks. Expect some aggression from the other occupants of the tank, as they will not remember that she belongs there, to them she is just a new competitor for food and will need to re-establish her place in the pecking order in the tank.
                          As for the fry, good thing about lab fry, these guys are large enough that you can start them off on ground flake right away. Simply take a pinch of flake and grind it between your fingers. The more often you can feed these guys the better, just make sure to use small quantities and frequent snacks. Labs are very fast growers, and in about 2 mos time you will be able to begin to see the characteristic traits begining to show. Congratulations, if this is your first batch of labs you are in for a real treat.

Comment

I am assuming you don't mean undress. What is this strip process? And if the bulge is smaller wouldn't it mean they are hatched and laying low somewhere?

Comment

Stripping is removing either the eggs or the fry from the mother before she is prepared to turn them loose. As for why the bulge in her throat gets smaller once the eggs hatch, this is due to the fry taking less space in her mouth than the eggs require. This is a short lived situation and will typically only hold true for a few days. Within a week of hatching the fry will only return to the mothers mouth when threatened, which is a good thing since they grow so fast there really isn't room in there for all of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X