new 55 gallon up and cycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new 55 gallon up and cycling

hello everyone i am alan.....i am just getting back into fish....looking for some advice i havent had an aquarium in about 13 years....i just got a 55 gallon filled and cycling with a emperor 400 biowheel last night....i am wanting to put angels in it...my question is what kind of exotic fish can i put with them....can i put a piktus cat.....also if i want live plants how long should i wait to put them in the tank.....any suggestions are greatly appreciated.....i guess i am looking for color in the fish......i really want discus but i am gonna wait until i get my bow front......

also i know this is a freshwater forum but i need some advice on a 10 gallon salt that i set up last night....if anyone has advice i would like to know how long to wait to add live sand and rocks then a clown fish and an anemone sp?

thank you
    alanb

Re: new 55 gallon up and cycling

Hi Alan,
    With the 55, go with the plants as soon as possible. Plants will help to establish your bio colony as well as provide shelter and to a limited extent a supplimental food source. The advantages to planting the tank before adding fish are that you can aquascape the tank without disturbing and possibly stressing your fish, and you can also dose the tank heavily with fertilizer to get the plants established without killing your fish. I would plant the tank, dose with a 10x recommended dosage of ferts, wait 2 weeks with a minimum of 12 hours lighting a day, then drain 75% water, refill with clean water, wait 2 days for the water to stabilise, then add a few fish at a time from that point on to let the bio filter work its way up. By doing it this way, you should end up with healthy plants with a good root structure as well as being able to introduce your new fish to a stress free environment.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Originally posted by alanb";p="
      also i know this is a freshwater forum but i need some advice on a 10 gallon salt that i set up last night....if anyone has advice i would like to know how long to wait to add live sand and rocks then a clown fish and an anemone sp?

thank you
      alanb
      Hi Alan, for the saltwater stuff, I invite you to take a look at Marshreef. There is a wealth of knowledge there on marine tanks. ken

Comment

Originally posted by houstonfishbox";p="
        Originally posted by alanb";p="

thank you
        alanb
        Hi Alan, for the saltwater stuff, I invite you to take a look at Marshreef. There is a wealth of knowledge there on marine tanks. ken
        I second that Marshreef has help me out a lot with my 12 gallon nano.
        You might try www. nano-reef also. They have a lot of DIY on that site.
        When ever you get ready for some discus send me a PM.

Walter
        Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
        Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
        Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Working...
        X