Species Maintaince Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Species Maintaince Program

Just wanted to let you know that there are a lot of bettas other than Betta Splendens that you see in the local fish store.

Some are bigger, some smaller, some are mouth brooders
    most are comunity tank fish and most prefer verry soft water

Many of these "wild" bettas are in decline because of loss of habatat and
    there is an effort by the International Betta Congress to try to
    maintain these endangered species.

If you are interested in maintaining wild species please contact the IBC
    or let me know and I will hook you up.

I was active in the program in 2003/4 setting up species / habatat tanks
    for some of the mouth brooders and providing stock for other breeders.
    You can make a difference.  8O
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Re: Species Maintaince Program

Are you breeding any Parosphromenus species?  I keep a few of those and would be interested in more of the same or Sphaerichthys vaillanti...if you happen to have a few extra floating around!

Comment

Don't know of any breeders in the area but you might find some at

'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I know they are not "critically endangered" but i breed Betta Macrostoma... In fact, i'm currently growing out a 2+ month old spawn. I would love to take in more wilds for rehabilitation, but the Macs, or more specifically keeping pH at 4.8 - 5.5 in soft water is a full time job in itself.
        www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Rainwater & an inch of peatmoss or old oak leaves will give you a good start on a low pH tank.   Big problem is that not many plants will do well at such low pHs.  I lilke java fern and a lot of driftwood

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
            ... Big problem is that not many plants will do well at such low pHs.  I lilke java fern and a lot of driftwood
            True. I have mostly driftwood and java moss. One of my tanks has an amazon sword that seems to be doing ok.
            I lower my pH by starting with 50/50 RO / Tap. Then use acid buffer.
            www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Working...
            X