HITH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HITH

is there a cure for this.  or are oscars doomed after acquiring it.

Re: HITH

You might want to take a look at this page http://www.aquariumfish.net/informat...tment.htm#top2 Basically hole in the head is caused by poor water conditions and or overcrowding. With an oscar water conditions are hard to maintain unless he is in a very large aquarium. This is true for all the larger cichlids, those from the new world especially. A good biological filter will help reduce the chances of HITH drastically as the bacterial colony thrives on the very organisms which lead to HITH. A couple ways to boost your bio filter capacity are to add a bio wheel to your tank, or even cheaper, add a spoonge filter or 2. Some of the pet stores dont even carry sponge filters anymore, one in particular that I went to told me that they dont offer them because they are old technology. Well, needless to say, that store hasn't seen me since. Old school doesn't mean innefective, it just means that the companies have discovered a way to gouge a little deeper into your wallet. All of my breeder and growout tanks have at least 1 sponge in them. I can honestly say that since adding sponges I have yet to have so much as a case of ich in any of my tanks. Rather than buying sponge filters, I take a piece of PVC, a car washing sponge, and a piece of tile for some weight, Slap all that together and you have a nice king sized sponge filter for about $2.
    I can't stress enough tho the importance of water changes. No matter how much you filter the water, if you don't do your maintenance you are going to get disease.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I have a large (10 oz) bottle of Hole-n-head guard by jungle
      got it at the HAS auction last year
      dont know how old it is or if it is out of date
      but you are welcome to try it.

Scott, how do you attach the tile to the sponge ??
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Use GE silicone 1, that is the only clear silicone I have found that you can buy in caulk gun tubes that is aquarium safe. Best part, it's less than $2 a tube at Walmart.
        Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I sometimes use the silicone that is not aquarium safe and let it set three days followed by an overnight soak in water and rinse. Methanol and/or acetic acid yuck.

max

Comment

I made the mistake of using some with mildue inhibitor once and it was still killing fish 2 months later.
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
            X