This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Ranks

OK folks, what do you say we create some forum ranks. I'm thinking of going from tiny organisms to the largest fish. What do you think? Let's get some ideas going here.

Re: Forum Ranks

What are your thoughts on this? Do you want them at all?

Comment

I've always liked alpha neumeric rankings as it aids rapid lookups

you know
      Betta befor Sicklid   :P
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

What are forum ranks?

max

Comment

What is a forum rank and how does it work?

Comment

A rank is associated with the amount of total posts you have made. See the orange bar under my name on the left? That is a representation of a rank. Normal ranks would look like the pictures I've attached below. I would then associate names to them and assign post quantities to each. For instance:

0-20 posts = a gleam in a mother's eye
            20-45 = an egg sac
            45-75 = a fry
            75-125 = a juvie
            125-200 = shell dweller
            200-300 = crab
            300-400 = stingray
            400-500 = betta
            etc, etc, etc. These are just ideas.

Ranks are meant to be a fun little motivator to take part in discussions. However, some are also concerned that they could be considered as an indicator of knowledge. Thus a new person might take advice from someone with a higher ranking than someone with a lower ranking, even though the person with the lower ranking is better suited to give the appropriate advice. Also, some people would inclined to spam a topic just to increase their post count. Such as "I agree", or "Ditto", or "Yeah".

All in all, I think it's a fun little addition to the site. I would be on the lookout for spammers and delete those entries. Also, I think we as a community can take care of the noobs and not let them take bad advice. In any case, I'll leave the final judgement up to you on whether we should add them or not.

I'll put a poll up in my next post.

Comment

I am on several forums & they all use some kind of ranking system.
              What I have learned is no matter what someones ranking is. It does not show how much that persons knowledge is on fish keeping. It does show how active that member is.
              The best way to find out about something is to do a lot of reasearch.

The forums can be a great thing of communication & a tool to learn from.

If you do wont to have a ranking system. Then by all means have one.

How ever it does give the new member some way to look for someone that has been around for a while.

So I give my vote as to let the ranking begin.

Walter
              Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
              Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
              Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

please vote HERE

Comment

Working...
                X