daphnia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• daphnia

Does anyone else feed mosquito larvae? I have some daphnia moina that show up in my barrels as well. Daphnia pulex and Daphnia moina will not culture in my hard water. I have to use rain water. The Daphnia pulex died off a while back. There are some critters that are a little fatter than the mosquito larvae that look kinda like snails. They swim like daphnia but could be mosquito larvae. I can't ever get enough of them. What are they?

At one time I grew the moina in 10x2x30 feet earthen plastic lined ponds. I fed them alfalfa hay. They would bloom and I would get all the fish fat. Then the tadpoles would come and eat them all up. Bloom and bust. Now I have filled in these ponds now to make room for cinder (cast concrete) block lined ponds. Its very noisy at my house at night with all the frogs singing.

max

Re: daphnia

I have kept the Daphnia Magna for the last 2 years but they really don't like the summer heat around here.

I have never been able to get a steady supply of daphnia.... it is alvays bloom and bust.  I think the fact that they double every other day causes them to overpopulate while I'm busy with something else.

I now have the little ones (monia?) as they have been recomended to do well in the heat.  The water I use is green from being out in the yard for a few weeks but was originally tap water..... perhaps the tree leaves have softened the water.....  The Killie folks tell me that peat pellets will also.

If you want to use outside ponds you need to invest in nets.  Keeps out the frogs, birds, water moccasins and other preditors.

One of the bettahabari members uses mosquito traps to gather food for his bettas.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Where do you get the plastic hardware cloth or nets? I guess I could use shade cloth?

max

Comment

Aquatic Eco-systems

mail order house for all the goodies a serious breeder could want
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Thank you.

max

Comment

Working...
          X