X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting rid of snails

have somewhat of a snail problem in one of my tanks

i have yo-yo loaches in tank, but they are not doing much to control them

other tank inhabitants include glo-light, rummy-nose, neon, cardinal and red-eye tetras

clown pleco, peppermint pleco, gold nugget,

two discus

what do you suggest?

Re: getting rid of snails

I would think the Yoyos would do the trick. Try a couple of clown loaches. How big is your tank?

Comment

I have the problem as well. Here is a link to some possible solutions:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

I am getting rid of some of them now with my duckweed soup. Lettuce seems to be a reasonable approach. I may make lettuce or spinach soup if and when my duckweed runs out. I refuse to use chemicals and all the fish that eat snails are too aggresive for me. I have a lot of tanks so taking down the tank for a thorough cleaning is out of the question.

Over feeding would certainly contribute to the problem and could lead to poor water quality as well.  I remove some of them and the food with the python when I change the water. I am getting some cory catfish to compete with them for food.

max

Comment

Originally posted by houstonfishbox";p="
        I would think the Yoyos would do the trick. Try a couple of clown loaches. How big is your tank?
        its a 58 gallon tank, i think i will try a couple of clowns, used to have 5 in a different tank but all died from ick.

Comment

That's big enough for them.

Comment

oh no, not the soups again! :)  I just tie a weight to a piece of zucchini.  I place that on a small plate(saucer), before I turn out the lights on the aquarium.  When I turn on the lights in the morning, I take the plate out.  It is usually loaded with snails.  I just throw them in the trash.
            If people concentrated on the really important things in life,
            there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Always interested in trading Tangs!

Comment

That's what I like to see, a simple yet effective method, BAIT!
              Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I just feed the excess to my dwarf puffers.

Comment

If you run short and want to drive across the world to get some more let me know.

max

Comment

Bettas like food that moves.......
                    I use the large Columbian Ramshorns in my spawn tanks to keep them clean and produce infusoria for fry food.

But the adult bettas keep my snail population in check.

'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                    X