DIY background

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY background

Here was my latest project.  It's about 10 days from inhabitants.  This will be a Tang community setup. It will house 11 Cyprichromis Leptosoma Malasa, 1 pair julidochromis marlieri gombe, 7 paracyprichromis blue neon, and 5 Lamprologus Similis.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life,
    there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Always interested in trading Tangs!

Re: DIY background

What size tank is that? And is that concrete over insulation foam? Also interested to know if you incorporated a filter in the deadfall behind the backdrop? Are you planning for gravel jets? Basically I am asking all this because I am planning something very similar, but with all those features as built ins.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Wow that looks great. I can't wait to hear the answers to Scott's questions. Why don't you tell us all about it at the Lake Houston Aquarists meetings sometime?

max

Comment

Well, if you look carefully, the corners at the bottom aren't done in 3d background.  My intakes will go behind the rocks on the sides.  All but about 6 inches on each side is siliconed directly to the glass.  Yes, this is done with styro-foam and 5 coats of concrete with charcoal pigment.  Let me warn you, this was a very time consuming project.

Comment

That's awesome. You did what I just think about doing.  

Comment

Could you do a cinder block wall in a house and cover the wiring and electric boxes or do you lay all this down to make it? Give us more detail on the process.

max

Comment

I laid it down on my work table.  Measured it out and fit each piece together.  SOme parts of the background are 4 pieces thick at 1/2 to 1" each.  I had a 1/2" piece of foam and a 1" piece of foam.  While other parts(usally the cracks) are only 1/2" thick.  Then I painted several coats.  I ended up not being happy with it, so I coated it again while it was in the aquarium.  This was not easy :) It looked very dark when it was out of the water.  It almost looked black.  Once you submerge it in water, it lightened up several shades.  Now it is a light charcoal color.  I tried to make some parts darker, but the wet concrete just spread, so it is almost all 1 shade.  The natural ledges work well on shading anyways.  I'm still not completely happy with it, but this was my first go at it.  I know exactly what I would do for the next one.  Which will be my 30gal grow out tank.  I will use it for good practice for when I tackle the 125gal some day.

Comment

If you think your up for it. I am in the process of setting up a 200 gallon 7ft tank at this time & I was wondering what I would like for the back ground, as I was wonting something different & now that I have seen yours. I know just what I would like to have.
                I would like to talk with you to learn how to do what you have done.
                The one thing that I was thinking of doing is using skimmers in both corners. Like they do in salt water tanks. With seeing you pic I beleive I coule incorporate the back ground to hide the skimmers from view as much as possible.
                As in all DIY project  they allways take alot of time.
                With me I have more time then money. HAHAHAHA

Walter
                Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Sure, just let me know what you need info on.  We have spoke before at one of the auctions.  I even bought some discus from you :)  Warning, this was the messiest project I have ever encountered.

Comment

If I can ever find the plans I drew up for a wet/dry trickle filter I did up that is hidden behind the false background, I will get them scanned in and post them. This is a project I have been looking at for some time now. I want to incorporate the wet/dry behind the wall, and have substrate jets for the return. I have a 45 breeder that is sitting empty at the moment that I may use as a club project to see if this will work.
                    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Scott I have a 75 gallon without the bracing in the middle. The glass is 3/4" think. It has some sediments on the glass,but if you like we can use it.

Walter
                      Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                      Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                      Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Sounds good to me Walter, the larger tank would allow us to make 2 chambers and section the flow return. As for the sediment, nothing that a razor blade and some vinegar won't cure I'm sure.

Comment

Where were you 3 years ago when I did mine ?
                          I have a 40 that I used - siliconed petrified wood to the back glass.

Problem 1 was the fit - hard to find a rock just the right size
                          problem 2 was the weight - takes 2 men & a boy to move it even when it is empty.
                          problem 3 is that the power box filters I like so much will not fit over the rock wall.

But the fish love it and it looks great !
                          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

guys,

saw Anton's tank yesterday while i purchased the arabesque pleco and a pair of marble angels, it looks awesome.  love the queen anton.  it pleased my queen very much.

omar

Comment

Working...
                            X