Anyone kept Polypterus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone kept Polypterus?

Has anyone kept Polypterus? Specifically I was wondering how they would do in an african tank.

Re: Anyone kept Polypterus?

these are monster fish, you'd probably be ok for a while till they gain some size.  then watch out.  never kept any , but have many online friends who do.

Comment

I have a 200gallon tank, so size is not a direct problem. However, I've heard that they will eat your fish while they sleep. That's my main concern.

Comment

Not only while the others are sleeping I am afraid, Bichirs in general are predatory by nature. these fish are such avaracious hunters that a river bed alone isnt enough for them, o no, they have to take a stroll on land to go after larger game. That alone should give you an idea of what you can expect. Any fish small enough to fit in its mouth, either in one piece or in bite size nuggets is fair game. These guys have an appetite like a channel catfish, that is, they eat non stop so long as food is provided. If wanting to keep rope fish, its a good idea to keep them in a species only tank, if for no other reason than it is cheaper than buying a new school of african feeders every week. The minimum sized fish I would keep with these, if you must keep something with them would be something on the scale of maybe a giraffe cat or a giant gourami, tho the gourami's pectorals probably wouldnt fare all that well with these guys. A large pleco would do ok due to its armored plating. You get the idea.
        Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

If you wanted to keep africans, try the emperor cichlid.  They can grow to 3 feet, but more like 2 feet to 30 inches in an aquarium.  Maybe a flowerhorn might be ok?  Maybe not, I think they only get 15 inches.
          If people concentrated on the really important things in life,
          there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Always interested in trading Tangs!

Comment

Originally posted by houstonfishbox";p="
            I have a 200gallon tank, so size is not a direct problem. However, I've heard that they will eat your fish while they sleep. That's my main concern.
            is this a new setup? whats in there now?

Comment

No, not new. I've had it for a couple of years or so. It's got a mix of malawi cichlids.

Comment

awesome, i love malawi cichlids as well, have a 55 gallon with holey rock spanning side to side and top to bottom

Comment

Working...
                X